London SE1 community website

Roupell Street EF School Development Horror

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Friday 31 July 2015 7.26pm
Karen I wrote:
I've looked at the plan. I'm really not sure why the architects thought that zinc cladding on the outside of the building is a suitable material to be used in Roupell Street, so I have put in a brief objection. On materials alone, this application should not be accepted; I just hope the planning team understand how much people like Roupell Street just the way it is.

I like Roupell Street, but the street is hardly defined by that schoolyard, is it? It's at the end where the less appealing, newer homes are anyway, isn't it.
Friday 31 July 2015 9.36pm
No, it is not. There is but one house between the school and Theed Street.
Saturday 1 August 2015 1.20am
The seven trees (I think) in the courtyard are to be killed then.
Saturday 1 August 2015 1.29am
Thebunhouse wrote:
No, it is not. There is but one house between the school and Theed Street.
Opposite, I mean.
Saturday 1 August 2015 7.14am
The newer houses at the top end don't make a design statement and because they extend into Hatfields, it's as if Roupell Sreet really starts a bit further down the road. There is the school house before the actual school and also the Peabody Estate, so although the school doesn't define the road it also doesn't stand out as an anomaly, it will if this design and materials is accepted. I'm pretty sure though, that if Roupell Street is a conservation area, it will be successfully fought.
Saturday 1 August 2015 8.28am
Terrible. I love seeing students etcetera enjoying themselves when I am passing. Change from gazing on the commuter pedestrians passing by

Cotswolds 12
Monday 3 August 2015 11.37am
I love Roupell Street. It makes a very pleasant change from the relentless glassplate, concrete and street level aircon units that are obliterating any architecture dating before 1950. Why doesn't the school move into more suitable premises rather than rather than ruin these? And if the houses making up Roupell Street are so poorly built, why are they so sought after?
Tuesday 4 August 2015 1.08am
What the heck is it supposed to be, and it blots out that beautiful building alongside it, the buildings appear to be 19c and it's a lovely streetscape. Every building in Southwark is a record of its social history which is fast becoming history in itself thanks to tasteless architecture.
Pity the Council doesn't appreciate its social history being the oldest borough in UK, unless someone knows different!
Get rid of that ridiculous diamond shape and retain the existing streetscape.

The architects can't be serious!

Stephanie
Tuesday 4 August 2015 1.37am
Roupell Street is in Lambeth not Southwark but your comments are still relevant and ones with which I sympathize.
Wednesday 5 August 2015 12.21am
I think they take account of objections from people outside of the borough
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions