London SE1 community website

Druid Street market a "Living Hell" exaggeration

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 3 of 9
Wednesday 5 August 2015 11.52am
Further in support of the residents' case is the fact that the licensing subcommittee of the council will meet on 12 August to review the licence of Anspach & Hobday on Druid Street as a result of public nuisance complaints.

Kevin previously mocked me for confirming that more residents were affected than the five pictured in the Southwark News article. 48 residents have petitioned - representing a whole block of flats on the Arnold - and this is CONFIRMED (see what I did?) in the licensing officer's report (http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/documents/s55992/Report%20Anspach%20Hobday.pdf).

Although the point has been made elsewhere that the alcohol selling and food market are distinct issues, in residents' eyes they conflate into one issue of public nuisance.

It is worthy of note that the environmental health team at Southwark supports the review application and believes that it is a meritorious application.
Wednesday 5 August 2015 12.18pm
Gavin Smith wrote:

Although the point has been made elsewhere that the alcohol selling and food market are distinct issues, in residents' eyes they conflate into one issue of public nuisance.

If so then the conflation is incorrect, and very unfair to the food market.
Wednesday 5 August 2015 1.17pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
48 residents have petitioned - representing a whole block of flats on the Arnold - and this is CONFIRMED

You could not confirm your statements at the time you originally posted. Where does it say in that report to support your statement that this is all from one block of the Arnold Estate? There are no names / addresses in the appendix for data protection reasons.

Also, for the record "There are 22 representations submitted in support of the premises. In addition there are also 578 individually signed petitions of whom 144 are Southwark residents submitted in support of the premises." So maybe not everyone feels the same way as the people who made the Southwark News tabloid headline. If I say that this 144 is the rest of the Arnold Estate, is there proof to say otherwise?
Wednesday 5 August 2015 1.36pm
Kevin wrote:
Where does it say in that report to support your statement that this is all from one block of the Arnold Estate

Clumsy syntax on my part. I did not mean to convey that these residents were all resident in one block but that 48 residents is basically a whole block.

I was able to "confirm" at the time of my original posting having spoken to residents myself.

Kevin wrote:
If I say that this 144 is the rest of the Arnold Estate, is there proof to say otherwise?

I'd say there is certainly something to rebut such a suggestion. If you look at the content of some of the supporting representations none of them are directly affected by the noise or live in close proximity.

In addition, being a tight-knit and community-spirited estate - something which is sadly lacking in the new-build places in these parts - I doubt that the other 144 residents would be the rest of the Arnold.
Monday 10 August 2015 6.43pm
I cycled by there last Friday evening, 8 o'clock-ish, on my way to/from Tesco. Both beer outlets were trading, just a few customers in each and there was no significant noise, much less any rowdiness.

On Saturday lunchtime I walked by again. Lots of people but all quite civilised. There was a possible road safety issue with people standing/walking in the road such that vehicles were needing to be cautious, although it seemed to me they could get through without any real difficulty. (In principle anyway I think it's not necessarily a bad thing if motor vehicles are forced to slow down and be observant, but I appreciate that's a whole other debate.)

What did catch my eye on Saturday were handwritten additions to the anti-market signs on the periphery of the estate. One was an observation about food banks, another read "Poor Side". These did make me wonder whether there might be some truth in kevinruairi's original suggestion of ulterior motives in the objections. I hope not.
Monday 10 August 2015 11.24pm
I have read foolish people stating just "food market" I live feet from Druid St market, it starts at 8am setting up finishes 5-6pm we have 2 drinking outlets, 3 24 hour buisness waking residents through out the week all hours ! Market users pee flash their bits at children leave food items rubbish all over estate we have rats foxes everywhere due to over flowing bins ! If you attempt to drive through Druid St you will see people in road, eating drunk shouting, cars beeping 11-20 times ?

I and residents cannot use our homes gardens due to noise, shouting anti social behaviour !

Videos pictures of above BUT SOUTHWARK council socially cleansing SOUTHWARK !

The Marquis of Wellington again feet from my home ! Yes had its problems but when residents called pub to tell them to quieten the noise they did ! Because not people with money just LOCAL licensee !

So Kevin and supporters of DRUID ST MARKET party in road ? Be careful what you support or a PRIVATE MARKET Business may just pop up near you !

Remember disabled people house bound cannot get away from the above and no one listening !! Social cleansing ! Graffiti on residents signs telling market we don't want it, stolen signs ! Written "poor side" on residents signs !

SOUTHWARK rolling over licking private market Druid St s boots !

But if pub behaved as they do license would be removed, groups of locals drunk get nicked regardless if on pavement let alone road !
Monday 10 August 2015 11.31pm
It is central London we know, but that does not mean people should be forced to live with anti social drunks in one way St ? People peeing, showing children their private parts ! Not looking at whole picture !

People are eating from rat pigeon infested arches ? HELLO

Obviously no understanding of food safety !

I and others have lived here in Druid St 30 + years ?

No one questioned us re Druid St market ! But was already issues with noise, waking residents all hours 24 hour business when do you think people can rest ?

Can it use our gardens, living rooms weekend dye to noise, anti social drunks, silly drunk females shouting giggling 12 hours of it ?

You live with it !

Yes different story , disabled people live in flats feet from market, drinking outlets, 24 hour buisness !
Tuesday 11 August 2015 10.22pm
Jane Druid st wrote:
It is central London we know, but that does not mean people should be forced to live with anti social drunks in one way St ? People peeing, showing children their private parts ! Not looking at whole picture !

No one questioned us re Druid St market ! But was already issues with noise, waking residents all hours 24 hour business when do you think people can rest ?

Can it use our "gardens, living rooms weekend dye to noise, anti social drunks, silly drunk females shouting giggling 12 hours of it ?

You live with it !

Yes different story , disabled people live in flats feet from market, drinking outlets, 24 hour buisness !

Wow while i can feel some empathy i do feel your post is a bit hysterical.

Lived there for 30 Years "Things change for better or for worse"

If food safety is an issue dont eat there. Are you being forced to eat the food ?

"Can it use our gardens" Who's using your gardens ?

Why do you mention disable people living close by you dont mention the issue they have

Drinkng outlets 24hrs. Please tell me who in the market has a 24hr license

Is it only females shouting. Lets ban females from drinking!

24hrs working, welcome to the real world.

Have you thought about sellling up and moving to the country?
Tuesday 11 August 2015 10.25pm
Jane Druid st wrote:

Can it use our gardens, living rooms weekend dye to noise, anti social drunks, silly drunk females shouting giggling 12 hours of it ?

You live with it !

Find your post so patronising towards disabled people.
Tuesday 11 August 2015 11.06pm
Your response, Drog, is perhaps equally, if not more, hysterical and patronising in the extreme.I am sure Jane is more than capable of responding, but just some observations:

- In your hysteria, you have failed to take note of the suitably placed commas in Jane's post. Jane refers to drinking outlets AND (comma) 24-hour businesses.

- Jane is not saying that people are using residents' gardens. She is saying their inconsideration prevents residents from using their gardens.

- Why does Jane need to particularise the disabilities of people living on the estate? Those are personal matters. She is highlighting the fact that such antisocial behaviour can exacerbate certain health conditions.

- Point re 24-hour working: whilst Carrington Brown, flower people, have been there for a few years, previously the arches at the Abbey Street end of Druid Street were used for light industrial use during social hours.

Pot, kettle and black spring to mind, Drog, as regards your "hysterical" and "patronising" points.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 3 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions