London SE1 community website

Druid Street market a "Living Hell" exaggeration

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 4 of 9
Tuesday 11 August 2015 11.45pm
I for one do not believe the residents are telling lies or exaggerating the issues. Noisy drunks and others never realize just how much noise they cause and hysterical shrieking female laughter is the worst.
I have real sympathy with Jane because I have suffered the same type of noise as Zoe has already indicated we do.
If anybody is being patronizing it is you drog with your comment "Have you ever thought about selling up and moving to the country ?". That sarcastic comment disguised as a question assumes that Jane owns her home and should move so that the nuisance can continue unabated.
Tuesday 11 August 2015 11.51pm
Meeting re market went great many for , many against, but promises so will see only time will tell ! Grateful of amount attended, rare for locals especially when Eastenders on

Grateful staff attending time ! Will up date all !
Wednesday 12 August 2015 1.59pm
I'm genuinely curious to know, which businesses there are operating on a 24 hour basis? I could imagine the bakery would work through the night but can't think which others might.

Living just around the corner I've walked past there on countless occasions at various times of the day and night and honestly never noticed any noise at a nuisance level at unsocial hours. (Certainly nothing to compare with the industrial scale bedlam that the railway works have periodically been generating in the small hours at weekends this past year or so.)

If some of the businesses in the arches are causing noise nuisance during unsocial hours then that should be pursued with their landlord (Network Rail?) and/or the council - surely that issue is nothing to do with the food market?
Wednesday 12 August 2015 2.24pm
Rather than being "curious" in a pointed sort of way, Dave, why don't you walk down Druid Street at 3.00 am and witness it for yourself?
Wednesday 12 August 2015 2.41pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
Rather than being "curious" in a pointed sort of way, Dave, why don't you walk down Druid Street at 3.00 am and witness it for yourself?
I wasn't trying to be "pointed", I was just asking. In the past (before my baby daughter was born and my social life changed accordingly) I have been past there fairly late, maybe midnight-ish, and never noticed anything much going on except one or two bakery workers on a fag break.
Wednesday 12 August 2015 2.47pm
As I say, a walk down there at 3.00 am might be enlightening in more ways than one. Until a year ago, we lived in Devon Mansions and had a view over the other end of Druid Street (Beddy-Buyz end) and at least one of the businesses up that end used floodlighting to enable forklift trucks to unload.
Wednesday 12 August 2015 3.00pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
As I say, a walk down there at 3.00 am might be enlightening in more ways than one. Until a year ago, we lived in Devon Mansions and had a view over the other end of Druid Street (Beddy-Buyz end) and at least one of the businesses up that end used floodlighting to enable forklift trucks to unload.
OK, but as you say that's the other end of the street, not the area being discussed here. My curiosity doesn't extend to 3 am reconnoitring; these days I need all the sleep I can get. I just thought someone might know. Jane said there were three businesses operating 24 hours.
Wednesday 12 August 2015 3.22pm
Yes, I can imagine. Absent being able to gainsay Jane's assertion - which I wholeheartedly accept, especially as she lives in the thick of it, which neither you nor I do - I think we'll have to accept that there are three businesses operating 24 hours.
Saturday 5 September 2015 11.18pm
Business working bakery 24 hour deliveries metal trollies dragged to and from lorries all hours park feet from residents bedrooms ? intermittent,staff stand at residents fence have page break talk on mobile so loud, summer play football 2am in morning in rd. I am not going to justify nor answer all points. Just my view and that imajority of estate, clearly voiced opinion on market 11.8.2015.gavin thank yo so much for your understanding / support.

Market is doing great lots of stall new ones, residents struggle through week business all hours, and Saturday market combined.

Not market for local people rich buisness man decided he and few rich buisness men would use Adruid St to make lots of money ! Southwark non democratic,non equality, money over people !
Zoe
Sunday 6 September 2015 1.53pm
Totally off topic, but people on mobiles are always quite funny, as they have no idea you can hear them (I'm not eavesdropping, I would rather not hear). I have at times wanted to lean out and give advice, as their lives sound very messed up, probably why they are in a street drinking at 3am. However, having been kept awake by their noise I decide they deserve to suffer (obviously not, I really feel for some of the people, who sound very upset).

Look out for a high rise nearby next time you have an animated discussion on your phone!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 4 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions