London SE1 community website

Druid Street market a "Living Hell" exaggeration

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 5 of 9
Monday 7 September 2015 9.32am
Just for the record, the 'majority' of Arnold Estate residents are not against the market. In Jane's previous post she rightly said ' many for, many against' at the meeting on 11 August.
Monday 7 September 2015 9.39am
I suppose it depends where one lives on the Arnold. Those living in the blocks abutting Druid Street at the thick - and therefore most affected - are likely to be against, whereas those in the blocks on Tanner Street, Jamaica Road, Abbey Street end, etc are likely to be indifferent.
Monday 7 September 2015 11.16am
Gavin Smith wrote:
I suppose it depends where one lives on the Arnold. Those living in the blocks abutting Druid Street at the thick - and therefore most affected - are likely to be against, whereas those in the blocks on Tanner Street, Jamaica Road, Abbey Street end, etc are likely to be indifferent.
Well, that's ONE theory, which may or may not be correct.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 7 September 2015 11.36am
Care to share your OTHER theories, Ivanhoe?
Monday 7 September 2015 11.54am
I don't really see any point in putting forward theories that can't be proved.

It would look too much like I was taking biased opinions and presenting them as fact.

Which, of course, would be contrary to reasonable debate, as I'm sure you'd agree.

Monday 7 September 2015 12.24pm
Well, instead of skirting around the edges and not coming out with it, what is YOUR view of the matter? This is a debate about the Druid Street market causing annoyance/misery to local residents. Are you participating or just making comments from the side line?
Monday 7 September 2015 12.27pm
I'm interested, but don't have facts, so I'm watching the discussion develop.

Is that OK with you?

Monday 17 October 2016 12.56pm
Over a year on, the market thrives and grows and there will no doubt be more debate when The Marquis of Wellington reopens in November.
Can't wait to see this.
Tuesday 18 October 2016 10.12pm
But the people who went to that pub in the past and got drunk there are different to the people who might be going there now and getting drunk so it should definitely be opposed.

I passed by the market last Saturday and it was awful - decent food, people drinking respectfully, no shouting or aggressive behaviour, local traders doing well - what a nightmare.
Wednesday 19 October 2016 4.22pm
kevinruairi wrote:
But the people who went to that pub in the past and got drunk there are different to the people who might be going there now and getting drunk so it should definitely be opposed.
I passed by the market last Saturday and it was awful - decent food, people drinking respectfully, no shouting or aggressive behaviour, local traders doing well - what a nightmare.

Is the pub being opposed? I can't imagine why, yet another local establishment that's no longer for the locals.

I wonder why you are so passionate about a market that you merely pass by, it feels like a kind of reverse reverse snobbery.

In other words, &%$^ the locals.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 5 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions