London SE1 community website

Druid Street market a "Living Hell" exaggeration

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 8 of 9
Friday 21 October 2016 2.33pm
Eco, it costs probably 10% of the 6 price tag - and that's being generous - to brew here in SE1. "Community-conscious locals" are only too happy to support "community-conscious businesses". I am afraid to say that the businesses we are talking about singularly fail to hit that target. Why aren't they taking on local youths and giving something back? I could go on and on.
Friday 21 October 2016 2.49pm
Which is why all those people working on he market and in the Breweries are stinking rich... I think you are underestimating the price differential. It surely does not cost 6 but a Carling also costs a fraction of the 3-4. In the end the people who are working on the beer and selling it need to get compensated and none of them are rich.

A lot of those who work in those places are indeed not from SE1, but that is often because they simply cant afford to live here and did not luck out on the council housing lottery. Could they employ locals? Probably if they had the skill and the will to work for the relevant wage. There are plenty of examples of those places employing local youth.
Friday 21 October 2016 2.57pm
Eco, I don't really follow your first paragraph. It is oxymoronic - you say the people working there are rich but then say that none of them are. Just a couple of things:

eco wrote:
did not luck out on the council housing lottery

Not sure which lottery this is. Don't see how this explains why they don't employ local people.

eco wrote:
Could they employ locals? Probably if they had the skill and the will to work for the relevant wage. There are plenty of examples of those places employing local youth.

The insinuation in your second sentence is that there is no willingness to work for the "relevant wage" amongst the local youths. You then go on to say though that there are plenty of examples - cite some then, please.
Friday 21 October 2016 7.17pm
We all know where the local youths are working, don't we ?
At the Shard where the 2/3000 jobs for locals were going to be created and offered by the owners, developers and supported by Southwark Council.

Eco510 you do seem to contradict yourself with the statement that a lot of the people who work in such establishments do not come from SE1 because they cannot afford to live here. You go on to say locals could be employed if they had the skills and will to work for the relevant wage. How high would that wage be to be consistent with the high expense of living in the area for those (implied workshy) local youths ?
Would the can of beer then cost 10 ?
Saturday 22 October 2016 12.31am
I think the last couple of posters have missed the implied sarcasm in Eco's first sentence (the point being that the workers in the market and small breweries are very unlikely to be wealthy or paid very much). Their beer costs more than discounted mass-produced supermarket beer (presumably the slightly higher prices help to partially offset the lack of economies of scale that small brewers face), but isn't out of line with prices in nearby pubs.
Saturday 22 October 2016 2.17pm
Guy's street wrote:
Gavin Smith wrote:
Boroughonian puts it far more eloquently then I can!
Guy's Street wrote:
I also wouldn't pay 50 for a bottle of champagne from Tesco but it doesn't mean I don't have access to Tesco.

Tesco stocks something for everyone. The subject places don't stock anything for anyone other than their target rip-off audience. Someone looking to buy a 2 can of lager, say, would only be able to buy it from the local convenience store.

And if someone is looking to buy a 6 can of craft lager they can only buy it from the market or the brewery.

Its great that Bermondsey has something for everyone. Everywhere doesn't have to appeal or cater to everyone.

I don't necessarily disagree with that, my only problem is, that when a market is magicked up and semi imposing on others lives, those people should have some kind of say/inclusion and not be dismissed as moaners by people that don't live there. According to you though, they should suck it up, with a straw to make the pint last longer. Perhaps they should be able to buy half a sandwich too.

It is great that Bermondsey has something for everyone, but if you're a working class local (is that better? ;)) and living on the Arnold, you have a walk to the nearest relative boozer.
The way it's going Guy's, there will be nothing left for one section of the community, I can only assume that the plan is, that community wont be around for too much longer.
Saturday 22 October 2016 4.11pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
Eco, it costs probably 10% of the 6 price tag - and that's being generous - to brew here in SE1. "Community-conscious locals" are only too happy to support "community-conscious businesses". I am afraid to say that the businesses we are talking about singularly fail to hit that target. Why aren't they taking on local youths and giving something back? I could go on and on.

None of them do though Gavin, none of the hotels that have sprung up over the last few years employ anything other than (dare I use the word) foreigners. You only have to see the lack of black representation in the local hostelries to understand what's going on re: locals.
Sunday 23 October 2016 5.36pm
Did you vote for Brexit, boroughonian?
Sunday 23 October 2016 7.52pm
Actually, forget it. Just read your posts on the Manzes thread. Have my answer.

To dial it back to the start. To describe the market as a "living hell" is still an exaggeration. I've lived in a house where the back lane was used by prostitutes to shoot up, and even then that was still not a living hell.

The market has taken steps to ensure that people don't sit at the entrance to the Arnold if they're drinking at the Bottle Shop. Anspach and Hobday have had restrictions placed on them. That's the end of the matter really. Unless people seriously have a problem with food being sold. Yes it's not Tesco (ludicrous that people are making them out to be defenders of the working class) but does everything have to be Tesco all the time?

Our household income between me and my partner is less than 30k, we have two kids and live in an affordable housing unit with a HA that we'll never own. I like eating the occasional nice bit of street food and having a beer that tastes much better than mass produced swill I can get from Tesco (or any other shop in SE1) any day of the week. Yes it's a bit more expensive. I am willing to pay that price. FWIW bottles in the Kernel are 2.80. I consider that a fair price for a superior product, that's made in Bermondsey.

The notion that the market should -have- to employ people from right across the street based on that facet alone is silly. Do most people in London have a fifteen second commute to their job?
Saturday 26 November 2016 11.53pm
I have read the comments. The "living hell" is true.
Contrary to comments Anspach & Hobday open Friday,Saturday,Sunday . The noise is so loud tenants opposite hear the users in our homes windows shut? We have drunks urination on our estate (our homes) whilst have equipment In hand their are children ? The mess,difficultly getting into homes. This is not only noise nuisance have The Bottle shop who also use estate, vomit from drunks outside homes. Rats infested estate ? Due to bins uncovered due to over load. 24 hours business that keep residents awake with deliveries all hours of night. Rubbish throw left on estate ?
People in road intoxicated whilst cars beep attempt to pass them ! We also cannot use gardens due to noise open windows ground floor. Great business flourish but not at cost of local community ... What about residents,pay rent / own homes on estate .. A one way road Druid st is not and has never been a high st ? Their were many more viable places in Southwark ! Not feet from homes ... People need sleep rest at different hours due to shift work/ age/ disabilities ..need peace rest ! Not party in Druid st ! Road full of intoxicated people whom behave in a disgraceful manner on street ! Residents pass them to access homes ! And their are requirements, but no one enforces them and when breach license allowed to get off ! Restrictions on amount of users is breached weekly but until someone gets hurt by car or Lorry coming through dark Druid st it will continue ... Now The Marquis back open have 2 food vans outside 12-12 ? When do people sleep ? Basic human right
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 8 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions