London SE1 community website

The Glad

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Current: 10 of 10
Wednesday 12 April 2017 2.53pm

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 3 May 2017 7.31am
Dropped in for a quick pint on the way home last night.

The barman I spoke to was friendly and enthusiastic. The room seems brighter (although I didn't use to go much in daylight, so that might be an unreliable observation). It's all hard surfaces, and the noise (quiet muzak and loud conversation) got quite loud even without the room being anywhere near full. There were children in there at 1830, but gone by 1900. One corner is given over to a mixing desk/small performance area, and I was warned that jazz is sometimes performed there.

There was a wall of varied keg beer, mostly from larger brewers, but some more local ones and a reasonable range of beers in the fridge; I had a nice pint of N7 IPA from a keg tap. There are two taps on the bar promising two of the more unusual real beers from the Molson-Coors owned Sharps brewery, but they weren't on yet. The barman said that they're a free house and there would be a variety of beers offered over time, and adding a third tap. I hope they start stocking more local and non-multinational owned breweries' beers.

Food was on offer, but I neither saw nor tried it.

In summary, a promising start.
Thursday 4 May 2017 12.42am
Dropped in this eve on way home for a few pints and was pleasantly surprised.
The new decor is lighter and more fancy - I kinda miss the old shabby boozer vibe of the old Glad but the gastro-refresh was kind of inevitable and tbh not unwelcome (esp the toilets!)
The staff were very friendly - keen to get our opinions on the menu, music and beer. It's nice that they're keeping elements of the old Glad - still have pies on the menu, some decent beers (though we recommended they could get some more local breweries on tap) and still doing live music focusing on folk, jazz, blues.
The menu is varied and much more diverse - more Asian/fusion. It may be trying a bit hard but the bits we tried were nice and prices not bad.
I hope these guys do well - we gave them lots of feedback about what they could do more of and they seemed very open to listening, hopefully people will continue to support the pub and it will stay open!
Thursday 18 May 2017 2.23pm
I had my 1st trip to the reopened Glad at the weekend and was very impressed. Very good selection of craft beers especially Meantime & Vedett and good wine from Lant Street Wine across the road. The interior is a vastly improvement versus its previous incarnation still keeping the traditional feel with a modern twist. The food menu looked pretty decent still includes Pieminister pies and some interesting looking Indian snacks. Great to have a pub back on Lant Street rather than the proposed block of flats.
Thursday 18 May 2017 2.43pm
The old boozer vibe has gone which is a shame. I agree, all hard surfaces and noise.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Current: 10 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions