London SE1 community website

The Glad

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 2 of 10
Monday 10 August 2015 10.01am
Thanks Head of DM that's great advice.
Monday 10 August 2015 11.02am
Are the people currently running the pub not the owners of the building? It would seem a bit odd for them to put so much into such a unique little music venue, making it a success too, only to smash it.
Monday 10 August 2015 1.55pm
Like Bermond I recall its past as a friendly gay venue, and in recent years I've both eaten there and been to the odd gig.

As I remember, it stopped being gay fairly soon after the new flats were built diagonally opposite (the usual issues with arriviste residents?) and was an earlyish loss to a declining south London scene now fighting the threatened redevelopment of the Royal Vauxhall Tavern in SE11.

Then came the school's colonisation of the middle of Lant Street, turning it in effect into two cul-de-sacs with no passing trade.

Its reinvention as a music destination - thegladpub.com - seemed a successful way to address that. But the pub's treatment over the years by the council and others has been shoddy.
Tuesday 11 August 2015 2.23pm
This pub even gets a mention in Pete Waterman's autobiography as a hang out for the Hit Factory. Surely worth saving for that cultural legacy alone.
Tuesday 11 August 2015 5.53pm
On behalf of SE London Campaign For Real Ale (CAMRA) I am currently putting together an application to have the Glad designated an Asset of Community Value which if granted should be a material consideration when determining the planning application. Please help by telling me what makes this pub such an asset and different from the other pubs nearby - live music is a given. Are there any community groups, etc that meet there regularly? Saving this pub could be a tough battle as the planning application includes provision for ground floor pub/restaurant use so they will argue we are not losing a pub overall. Please also object to the planning application - if you have never objected before there is some guidance on our website http://sel.camra.org.uk/objecting-planning-applications/ . The pub managers are only tenants and so don't own the building.
Tuesday 11 August 2015 6.06pm
SteveSilcock wrote:
The pub managers are only tenants and so don't own the building.

Thanks for that. They're really nice and I wouldn't have thought they'd be happy to see such a nice building be destroyed.
Tuesday 11 August 2015 7.16pm
SteveSilcock wrote:
Please help by telling me what makes this pub such an asset and different from the other pubs nearby - live music is a given. Are there any community groups, etc that meet there regularly?

Steve, the pub has two Facebook pages (Johnny Gladstone and The Glad) with many followers. I've copied your request for material to support your application.
Tuesday 11 August 2015 8.31pm
Everything great about this landmark pub was lost several years ago when it was stripped bare and became the clone bar that it is today. For years it was the most welcoming (to everyone) and safe gay pub south of the river. It was genuinely sad the day it closed as it was always there for a very loyal and real long time local community. To my mind the real pub was lost that day.
Tuesday 11 August 2015 11.44pm
Sadly everything North Southwark is now being removed, thankfully many on here like me believe it is tragic to wipe so much from Bermondsey southwark and replace with food,drinking outlets in street !
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 2 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions