London SE1 community website

The Glad

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 3 of 10
Wednesday 12 August 2015 12.01pm
Wednesday 12 August 2015 5.13pm
What time is the meeting at the Lord Clyde this eve - does anyone know?
Wednesday 12 August 2015 6.18pm
Meeting is at 7.30pm
Friday 14 August 2015 7.56pm
There's a superb blog post at http://ottocr.at/?p=296 linking the Gladstone to other nearby pubs threatened by developer freeholders - such as the RVT, as I'd mentioned earlier in this thread.

What's striking is that in inner London anyway, pubs' fate is being determined not just by whether they pull in enough punters.

A thriving venue can have earned its keep for a century or more, yet be doomed if the ultimate owners figure they could make more by throwing flats up instead. It's no longer about footfall but footprint.

What outcome from the meeting meanwhile? I couldn't make the Clyde (which itself is a shining example of a traditional family-run boozer that still knows how to do it).

If deprived of venues like these, we'll soon be living in a soulless wasteland fed and watered only by samey catering chains. For a preview, just walk along Southwark Street towards Blackfriars Road...
Saturday 15 August 2015 8.41pm
Thanks for the link to the blog post! My cousins and I feel a bond to the Glad through our shared family history and we are keen to get involved in campaigning to save it. I also feel really strongly about the wider issue here. London's past is also London's future. I'm meeting a journalist in the Glad on Monday afternoon and we're hopeful that we can get some decent coverage ahead of the planning decision. I'll be following this thread and look forward to getting stuck in!
Tuesday 18 August 2015 1.48am
Hi all,

I am very sorry to hear about the Glad, to be replaced by a 10-storey tower, but there are also many other tall/taller buildings in the borough. I must mention that since Lancs. declared itself frack-free the Govt's decided that we should all be fracked! I feel very sorry for all residents, and employees/employers who take up residence in tall buildings will not be saved from David's wrath!

Also we lose yet another centre of the community, why could it not have been listed as an Asset of Community Value like the Ivy House in Peckham, it has a long social, historical record?

Why doesn't the Council appreciate our history and its buildings, shame on you! Southwark is a wonderfully historical borough - let's value what we've got and make the best use of our records of social history, some of which are beautiful buildings. Another thing, the Tower of London and many other buildings have been around for centuries, what did the planners and builders know then that we don't know now?

We must try and save the Glad.
Stephanie
Tuesday 18 August 2015 6.51am
Hi All - by way of update, the Asset of Community Value application has now been submitted to Southwark Council jointly on behalf of the Save The Gladstone Arms Group and SE London CAMRA. The Council have told me their ACV panel will meet shortly to consider the application. Fingers crossed!
Tuesday 18 August 2015 1.46pm
Stephanie,
Iím not really sure I get your point. What does this have to do with fracking? There is no fracking in London. From your other posts this seems some arbitrary way to make a political statement about the government without any bearing on a small site in Zone 1.

Also, whilst I acknowledge that Southwark donít have the best track record, your implication that they should be shamed for what theyíve done here is ill-founded. Southwark havenít approved the development, in fact a councillor in charge of planning & regeneration has tweeted publicly that heís against it. All theyíve done is accept the planning application (which they have a statutory right to do) from the landowner (who similarly has a statutory entitlement to seek to the highest value use they can for assets they own Ė we do live in a democratic free market afterall).

The controls and systems in place around planning are designed to deal with the character of areas, the look of the built environment and affordable housing and tenure mix. That process started yesterday when the planning application was submitted. It hasnít Ďnot been listedí, the process for that similarly only just started Ė it is not in the councilís remit or right to list things of ACV proactively, that defeats the purpose.

Now, Iíll agree that they donít have a great track record and will be sorely letting the community down if they do approve it Ė the assertion that they have already done so in this case, is false in my opinion.
Tuesday 18 August 2015 6.09pm
Steve, great work on the application. I live opposite the Glad and know the Dan's who run the pub quite well. Lovely blokes running a lovely pub.

I will be signing the objection as will a number of friends who live in the area who enjoy a pint at this great pub.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 3 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions