London SE1 community website

"Blackfriars Circus"

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7
Wednesday 12 August 2015 6.45pm
Karen, I do believe that the flats the council intend to buy from a developer are a secret and we are not yet allowed to know so it would be presumptive to assume they will have council tenants in Blackfriars Circus
Wednesday 12 August 2015 8.25pm
I heard that any affordable housing that is for sale (up to 80% of market value) can go back to 100% if it doesn't sell within 3 months of it being on the market. Any affordable units are likely to be the least desirable and not likely to be the first to be 'snapped up' (LOL) so it is highly likely that they would end up going to full market value.
Thursday 10 September 2015 8.13pm
Only another one thousand plus homes to replace the theft of people's homes on the Heygate! Seeing as Southwark will proudly present 56 properties for rent.
Friday 11 September 2015 1.37pm
Your associated story reports that the Council is buying 56 units in "Blackfriars Circus". Have we really come to this? How many units could the Council or for that matter a Housing Association build for the same money. The private developers really have virtually taken over. However the Council are at least making some provision in this development.

On the subject of name, I am taking it that "St George's Circus" will still exist with its obelisk and "Blackfriars Circus" will be the Barratt's development beside it. If so it is "Circus" which is the wrong designation rather than "Blackfriars". A circus implies a circular edifice (as in Bath) or a focal point in a junction (as in St George's Circus" Two beside each other is nonsensical. Why not "Blackfriars Square" -if there is a space justifying this designation - or Blackfriars anything. Certainly not "Circus".
Friday 11 September 2015 6.10pm
You ask how many units the council could build for the same money? The answer: Probably a lot less. Developers typically sell off the affordable housing portion of their developments to housing associations at (or even below) the cost of construction. To be clear, that's the cost EXCLUDING the value of the land. 56 units for £10m is only £178k per unit, which (assuming a modest 650 sf per unit) would equate to £275 psf. I doubt the developer will even cover hard costs based on that price. Affordable housing provisions in new developments are MASSIVELY subsidised by the people who are buying the private units priced at £1500+ psf.

Can't disagree with you on the name though...
Friday 11 September 2015 9.13pm
@sjac

I stand corrected on the cost - I never was good at long division! However the point on this thread is the name. How about "Blackfriars Court" ?
Wednesday 16 September 2015 3.10pm
Homes go on sale in Hong Kong this weekend
http://www.knightfrank.com.hk/residential/london-property/blackfriars-circus.aspx

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 2 November 2015 7.29am
Homes at Blackfriars Circus go on sale in Kuwait this weekend

http://bp.com.kw/official-launch-of-blackfriars-circus-enderby-wharf-in-kuwait/

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 2 November 2015 11.12am
And the usual contradictory marketing speak...

- prices starting at £495K, £595k or £680k depending on which page you read

And a fluid location:

- Prime central London location
- In minutes you are in central London
- The famous Southbank is a short walk away
- Situated on the Southbank
- Transport to Bond Street is only 16 minutes away
- 10 minutesí to Waterloo
- Eight minutes to both Oxford Circus and Canary Wharf

I never fully understand 'exclusive', presumably anyone can buy them, just exclusive to those who can afford them?
Monday 2 November 2015 11.33am
James Hatts wrote:
Homes at Blackfriars Circus go on sale in Kuwait this weekend
http://bp.com.kw/official-launch-of-blackfriars-circus-enderby-wharf-in-kuwait/

I still can't work out why it couldn't stay as St George's....oh hang on.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions