London SE1 community website

"Blackfriars Circus"

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7
Monday 2 November 2015 12.09pm
A more likely explanation is the one someone mentioned earlier in the thread - St George is the name of one of Barratt's rival firms.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 2 November 2015 12.17pm
James Hatts wrote:
A more likely explanation is the one someone mentioned earlier in the thread - St George is the name of one of Barratt's rival firms.

Well, I for one do not think that is a more likely explanation at all. We are talking about the patron saint of this country and a cathedral down the road of the same name, does a developer trump that?

No, an adversarial religion and population of (militant) people does though!
Monday 2 November 2015 1.41pm
So your theory is that in order to avoid offending Muslims, they changed the name from England's patron saint to an order of proselytising Catholics? Clever.
Monday 2 November 2015 5.02pm
boroughonian wrote:
No, an adversarial religion and population of (militant) people does though!

I can't quite believe what an offensive and unwarranted comment this is!

Also, I'd point you to a Wikipedia article so you can perhaps do a little reading rather than just respond with kneejerk racism:

"Saint George is somewhat of an exception among saints and legends, in that he is known and reveared by Muslims, while being venerated by Christians throughout the Middle East, from Egypt to Asia Minor."

The choice of name is because of commercial interests. End of.
Monday 2 November 2015 6.58pm
I think the point has now been made and rebutted. Please can we keep this thread on topic?

Monday 2 November 2015 7.05pm
I think others have been too quick to jump on Boroughonian's comments. Boroughonian didn't mention any specific religion. Indeed, on my reading of it he could've been referring to the Catholic cathedral lending its name to the Circus in the first place.
Monday 2 November 2015 7.33pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
I think others have been too quick to jump on Boroughonian's comments. Boroughonian didn't mention any specific religion. Indeed, on my reading of it he could've been referring to the Catholic cathedral lending its name to the Circus in the first place.

St George's Circus presumably got its name because it stood in 'St George's Fields' - which in turn took their name from St George's parish church in the Borough - long before the establishment of the Roman Catholic cathedral of the same name.
Monday 2 November 2015 7.48pm
I stand corrected, John, in which case I adapt my original comments re Boroughonian's post to the parish church of St George rather than to the cathedral.
Monday 2 November 2015 8.49pm
It seems to be a trend by developers to try and rename the area as Blackfriars. Linden Homes is also saying the new building is in Blackfriars. But guess it's been going on for quite a while, as we have Blackfriars Medical Practice and Blackfriars Wine Bar, for example.

Actually the campaign group, that started when the Linden Homes proposals became known, chose to be called Blackfriars Residents, as we could not agree on a better name to describe the area.

Does anyone actually call the area on the City side of Blackfriars Bridge as Blackfriars, apart from the station and the pub?
Monday 2 November 2015 8.53pm
Don't forget Blackfriars Settlement - they have been known as such for a long time.

Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions