London SE1 community website

"Blackfriars Circus"

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 4 of 7
Monday 2 November 2015 9.04pm
James Hatts wrote:
Don't forget Blackfriars Settlement - they have been known as such for a long time.

Ah yes, true James - forgot it. Guess it is inevitable the area will be known as Blackfriars even more now, even if it's not exactly accurate, but as well know we don't really have a better name for it either :o
Tuesday 3 November 2015 9.50am
To name a building Blackfriars Circus when it is the opposite of a circus in that it is composed of straight blocks of architecture is ridiculous. To name it so next to an existing circus of a different name is absurd and confusing.
As I have posted before an apt name would be "The Obelisk" a fine upstanding name and paying tribute to an historical milestone which could be used in their advertising, the Obelisk, as inscribed,is one mile from Westminster Palace Yard.
And I am prepared to forgo the fee I was originally demanding they can use the name for free and gratis.
Tuesday 3 November 2015 10.03am
That is just the main issue with all the new development around here - they don't seem to want to connect to the existing environment and local history. All they want is easily marketable names for the buyers in far away countries, who couldn't give two hoots about where their investment property is plonked.
Wednesday 4 November 2015 7.30pm
nelson_ wrote:
All they want is easily marketable names for the buyers in far away countries, who couldn't give two hoots about where their investment property is plonked.

They DO care about where it is located - that is the whole point behind the rename. Looking for "St Georges" in London leads to a splatter of possible locations, with the most obvious clump being around Tooting. A search for "Blackfriars" on the other hand leads straight to the bridge in central London.

It IS being marketed in the most convenient way to people abroad but it is also a reasonable name - if you asked most people who live or work in London where "Blackfriars Circus" is, I think most would say its near Blackfriars bridge (I think most would think its the messy intersection at the north of the bridge though). Even those that oppose the name would grudgingly agree with the statement that "the 'Circus' in Blackfriars is called St. George's Circus", so think of it as Blackfriars' Circus if you must.
Tuesday 2 February 2016 9.10am
Latest from the council re the purchase of homes at Blackfriars Circus:

Quote:
This purchase exchanged on 22 December 2015 at a final price of 10.7m (zero-rated for VAT), which is an additional 128k over the previously agreed price. This uplift represents upgrades to the mechanical & electrical specification and the lift specification, which were required to meet council standards across its managed estate. Fees are in the region of 129k.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 2 February 2016 11.07am
[/quote]Even those that oppose the name would grudgingly agree with the statement that "the 'Circus' in Blackfriars is called St. George's Circus", so think of it as Blackfriars' Circus if you must.[/quote]

I don't agree at all. St George's Circus isn't in Blackfriars. Blackfriars is North of Blackfriars Bridge. Ludgate Circus is the circus in Blackfriars, at a push.
Tuesday 2 February 2016 12.24pm
As a hangover from my days of driving a black cab, Blackfriars Circus would for me be the north side of Blackfriars bridge.
The kind of roundabout layout, (soon to be changed, if it hasn't already), where the bridge meets the slip road to Victoria Embankment to the left, or you can go straight ahead to New Bridge St. EC4, or turn right into Queen Victoria st., but if you were facing Queen Vic. St., you could not make a right and head across the bridge.
To reiterate, a lot has changed in the four years since I hung up my badge.
Tuesday 2 February 2016 2.09pm
Walking south from Farringdon you arrive at Blackfriars station, across Blackfriars Bridge, to find another entrance to Blackfriars station and the construction of a new landmark building "1 Blackfriars". You then walk down Blackfriars Road, past the old Blackfriars station and several buildings numbered X Blackfriars. Blackfriars does extend north of the bridge, but "as a destination" it is mainly south of it.

As I said, a lot of people would think "Blackfriars Circus" was the messy intersection at the north of the bridge - but having a development situated at the end of Blackfriars Road, at a circus, makes sense (and the area to the north of the bridge isn't a 'circus' anyway - it just seems like one). Conceptually, "Blackfriars" is then the area starting at 1 Blackfriars, running down Blackfriars road, to Blackfriars Circus. It is serviced by Blackfriars station at the northern end, and there is a bridge "Blackfriars Bridge" that leads to it (like Waterloo bridge leads to Waterloo).

Don't get me wrong, if they do a big housing development at the northern end of the bridge by the station then I'm sure they would go for "Blackfriars" something, and it would make sense. But Berkeley are marketing these flats to people who will be mostly relying on Google maps to begin with - and looking for "St Georges" in London leads to a splatter of possible locations, with the most obvious clump being around Tooting, whereas a search for "Blackfriars" leads straight to the bridge in central London.
Thursday 4 February 2016 9.16pm
Blackfriars is quite clearly the area north of the river.
Blackfriars Road is the road that leads to Blackfriars...this doesn't mean that the southern end of that road is in Blackfriars.
There's probably a London Road in most towns...

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 4 February 2016 10.36pm
I worked in Blackfriars for years and it's very definitely commonly known, with Londoners at least, as the area north of the bridge. It's just cashing in on the perceived cachet of being slightly more central. I live on Westminster Bridge Road but it couldn't ever be considered Westminster. Mind you, we do have Pimlico Plumbers around the corner and a new development on Union Street was recently described in the developer's blurb as 'a short walk from Harrods'.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 4 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions