London SE1 community website

What would a Corbyn victory mean for Southwark Labour?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 9 of 11
Tuesday 15 September 2015 8.47pm
Wait a moment, Guys:

The Red Flag is Labours' semi-official anthem and is traditionally sung at the end of each Labour conference.

I would be more worried at the notion of a Labour leader who will not sing those words.

As for God Save The Queen/King, it really would not be appropriate to require a Republican to have to sing this song, just as much as no Scott should have to also sing it, due to the lyrics that were used in 1745:

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
May by thy mighty aid,
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
and like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush,
God save the King.

Corbyn is on record for stating that he is a republican, but has also said that he is not going to fight this important constitutional issue.

Personally, I have no problems with the Monarchy, but respect the ideals held by republicans.

QEII has served her realms well: let us see if her successors can do the same.

But back to the real issue: the will of the (labour) people now no longer counts: it is the will of the Parliamentary Labour Party that does: many prominent members have already undermined Corbyn's leadership with their public, post election, statements.

Our own representative (Neil Coyle MP), advised to vote for other candidates, and aside from the expected pro forma congratulation on his victory, has so far kept a distance from any debate.

This may be because he has no opinion, but may also be because he is waiting to see in which direction the wind is blowing before committing himself.

Will he defend Jeremy in the same way he defended Ed?

Tuesday 15 September 2015 8.53pm
i dont think Jeremy wants defending....

and that will always be the issue.
Wednesday 16 September 2015 9.44am
I do wonder how many of those vitriolic critics of jeremy Corbyn's silence during the National Anthem at St. Paul's actually know the anthem, other than the first verse, and always stand when they hear it.
I suspect none.

Do they ignore the respectful silence at eleven o'clock on the eleventh of November ?
I suspect not.

Silence is respectful too.
Wednesday 16 September 2015 11.38am
Thebunhouse wrote:
I do wonder how many of those vitriolic critics of jeremy Corbyn's silence during the National Anthem at St. Paul's actually know the anthem, other than the first verse, and always stand when they hear it.
I suspect none.

Do they ignore the respectful silence at eleven o'clock on the eleventh of November ?
I suspect not.

Silence is respectful too.

What a pathetic post.

You know absolutely nothing about other posters on this thread. Some have seen military service - have you?

Some know the Anthem by heart, and have sung it at formal occasions wearing uniform - have you?

And other posters attend memorial and church services every year on 11th November, and have done without fail for 20 years rain or shine - have you?

Silence is respectful in the right place - it was not respectful yesterday at the Battle of Britain Memorial service. I assume you would have been disrespectfully silent too.
Wednesday 16 September 2015 11.45am
By jingo, it's not as if Corbyn was waving a westboro baptist church style placard during the anthem, was it. At least he stands by his beliefs. I wonder how many that stood there and sang don't give a rat's behind about the Queen, The Battle of Britain or the people as they are today. There were quite a few of the hypocrites I bet.
Wednesday 16 September 2015 12.02pm
Perhaps they should have sung the Polish national anthem as well...

Wednesday 16 September 2015 12.21pm
Boss St Bloke wrote:
Sings the red flag loud.
Silent during our National Anthem. Sung at a service in St Paul's to honour our living WW2 RAF heroes and our war dead.

Disrespectful, repugnant and pathetic.

What tosh. Choosing to sing along or not when the national anthem is played has nothing whatsoever to do with respecting our war heroes, either way.

eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
By jingo, it's not as if Corbyn was waving a westboro baptist church style placard during the anthem, was it. At least he stands by his beliefs. I wonder how many that stood there and sang don't give a rat's behind about the Queen, The Battle of Britain or the people as they are today. There were quite a few of the hypocrites I bet.
Spot on Edward, well said.
Wednesday 16 September 2015 12.31pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:

Well Jeremy pledges allegiance to the Queen every year, so yea.
Wednesday 16 September 2015 1.20pm
boroughonian wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:

Well Jeremy pledges allegiance to the Queen every year, so yea.

He has to as an MP. He's a republican, not an anarchist.
Wednesday 16 September 2015 1.26pm
If it was stipulated that he had to Sing the Anthem to be an MP, I think he would.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 9 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions