London SE1 community website

What would a Corbyn victory mean for Southwark Labour?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 10 of 11
Wednesday 16 September 2015 1.57pm
Boss St Bloke wrote:
Sings the red flag loud.
Silent during our National Anthem. Sung at a service in St Paul's to honour our living WW2 RAF heroes and our war dead.

Disrespectful, repugnant and pathetic.

There's a strong argument to say that it's not that simple.

He's on record praising the efforts of the country during WW2. But, he's also a republican. When the song chosen to honour those who took part in WW2 is a song in praise of the Queen, what would you have him do?

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 16 September 2015 3.04pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
Boss St Bloke wrote:
Sings the red flag loud.
Silent during our National Anthem. Sung at a service in St Paul's to honour our living WW2 RAF heroes and our war dead.

Disrespectful, repugnant and pathetic.

There's a strong argument to say that it's not that simple.

He's on record praising the efforts of the country during WW2. But, he's also a republican. When the song chosen to honour those who took part in WW2 is a song in praise of the Queen, what would you have him do?

In today's papers he is saying he WILL sing the anthem from now on.
Wednesday 16 September 2015 3.09pm
Obviously an error of judgment on Corbyn's part.

What I find disappointing is all of the in-fighting amongst Labour politicians - our local government politicians included - not accepting that he has been elected as leader and looking for anything. The guy needs to be given a fair crack of the whip and have, publicly at least, the support of Labour poliicians.
Wednesday 16 September 2015 6.08pm
BSB.
You presume too much, there is a wider world than this forum and its posters.
A world where the likes of the Sun and the Daily Mail exist and take every opportunity to spread their noxious views against the left wing of the Labour Party as they have with their reports of the service at St. Paul's.
To answer you rather personal questions whose purpose seems to be to humiliate me :
I served in the RAF, 11 Group, Fighter Command. My father served in the RAF for the duration of WW2 both in England and Europe through to Berlin. My uncles, both Canadian and English fought throughout the conflict and some did not come home.
So yesterdays service meant a lot to me and I was not offended by Jerem Corbyn's silence.
I confess I do not know the whole of the anthem, the last time I was expected to sing it I was wearing the uniform of which I was so proud.
Wednesday 16 September 2015 6.24pm
BSB,
I have also attended many Rememberance Day services over the last sixty years but always in the open apart from those whilst I was serving the Queen. Those services have a very personal meaning to me as well as the generality of them.
I note your modesty in not claiming to have served the Queen or to know the anthem by heart and singing it whilst wearing uniform or even attending Remembrance Day services for the last twenty years.
Wednesday 16 September 2015 8.18pm
It was a commemoration of how a small group of young people - British and foreign volunteer aviators (Poles, French, Dutch, Czech-Slovaks) - helped to avert a fascist invasion of Britain - something you'd think that a left-winger such as Corbyn would in particular want to celebrate.

Very instructive.
Wednesday 16 September 2015 11.21pm
Floodplain wrote:
It was a commemoration of how a small group of young people - British and foreign volunteer aviators (Poles, French, Dutch, Czech-Slovaks) - helped to avert a fascist invasion of Britain - something you'd think that a left-winger such as Corbyn would in particular want to celebrate.
Very instructive.

He was there, wasn't he. He didn't boycott it or speak out against it, none of that.

"Ahead of the event, Mr Corbyn highlighted that his mother had served as an air raid warden and his father in the Home Guard.

He said: “Like that whole generation, they showed tremendous courage and determination to defeat fascism. The heroism of the Royal Air Force in the Battle of Britain is something to which we all owe an enormous debt of gratitude.”

'Nuff said. Storm in a tea cup, whipped up by the right's fear of a Labour leader who won by a bigger landslide than Blair.
Thursday 17 September 2015 9.47am
Yesterday, BBC News site, in its Magazine section, published an interesting analysis on why some people do not sing the National Anthem.

It includes, among the various reasons, a reference to the 'Rebellious Scots to Crush' lyric I had mentioned in a previous post here.

Basically, according to the article, if you're a republican Scot, who does not believe in God, and has good taste in music, chances are that you aren't going to sing it...
Thursday 17 September 2015 9.49am
So what place do atheists and republicans have in the forces?
If the country was at threat of invasion, would republicans be told not to join-up?
Thursday 17 September 2015 9.51am
Jules62 wrote:
Yesterday, BBC News site, in its Magazine section, published an interesting analysis on why some people do not sing the National Anthem.
It includes, among the various reasons, a reference to the 'Rebellious Scots to Crush' lyric I had mentioned in a previous post here.

Basically, according to the article, if you're a republican Scot, who does not believe in God, and has good taste in music, chances are that you aren't going to sing it...

Personally, I am a monarchist and I like the National Anthem. I am more offended by neo-nazis signing it than republicans not singing it.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 10 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions