London SE1 community website

What would a Corbyn victory mean for Southwark Labour?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 2 of 11
Friday 21 August 2015 10.47pm
Don't panic Floodplain, London will continue working next week even though those bolshie unions are proposing to strike.
I think, if you care to research it, that more days are lost to strikes under right wing Tory governments such as we have at the moment and had under Thatcher than under any "extreme left-wing and authoritarian governing political party" a mythical beast that has never existed in this country to my knowledge. But then I have only been voting since the late 1950s so perhaps you can tell us when and where you gained the experience of living under such a regime and what it was actually like.

I take it as a given that right wing governments will attack the workers and provoke strikes because it gives them the opportunity to bring in anti-union legislation which is really anti worker legislation and it serves their purpose to portray striking trade unionists as enemies of the state and the bogeyman to beware of whereas in reality they are ordinary people trying to better themselves.

Neil Coyle is an MP he is not a Privy Councillor, meaning he may be addressed as the Honourable but not the Right Honourable.
Saturday 22 August 2015 1.43am
Our SE1 MP, Neil Coyle has this to say:

"I’ll put 1 for Yvette Cooper, 2 for Liz Kendall and 3 for Andy Burnham"[/i]

What Coyle fails to mention is this:

"The largest single donation to Yvette Cooper’s Labour leadership campaign comes from a former donor to the Conservative party.

Businessman Peter Hearn gave Cooper £75,000 to support her campaign for the Labour leadership. According to the latest listing Cooper made in the register of MPs’ interests, Hearn’s donation makes up over a quarter of the £260,000 she has raised to fund the “Yvette for Labour Leader” campaign."
[i]

Source
Saturday 22 August 2015 8.53am
Jules62 wrote:
I did not vote, as I wish to remain strictly unaffiliated to any political organisation.
The way things are at the moment, Corbyn is un-electable as Prime Minister, despite the fact that out of all Labour leadership candidates I identify my ideals most closely with his.

However, I have thought long and hard about this, and feel that the Labour Party would benefit from having Jeremy at the helm: the left, repository of the great Labour traditions, needs to be acknowledged as an important voice within the Party.

Any political organisation that does not have multiple and sometimes conflicting views among its members cannot really be taken seriously: too much North Korea is not good here in the UK.

If Corbyn becomes Labour leader, it would open up the party and help it to formulate policies that reconcile all currents.

As for Neil Coyle MP, his political career is tied to his loyal allegiance to the current status quo within Labour: I wouldn't expect him to turn against his sponsors and endorse Corbyn.

No offence or personal attack is meant or implied here, just a dispassionate evaluation I have made.

If Corbyn does end up leading the Party, it may not be him who eventually contests the next General Elections, instead it may well be a candidate that reflects a Labour Party that has renovated itself in the face on multiple defeats.

Labour cannot allow itself to be a grey, mediocre party that has forsaken its original ideas and whose leaders lack a clear program, and the charisma necessary to deliver it to the people.

Very good analysis on all points.
Saturday 22 August 2015 9.37am
A Corbyn victory means something very simple. It means an unassailable Tory government, that with no credible opposition and can thus do what it pleases for a decade or more.

Labourites dearly love to criticise Thatcher's policies of the 80s. They do this without irony when it is they, themselves, who kept her in power by electing a string of unelectable leaders. Similarly they deride Blair when he is the only leader that has had them elected in the last 25 years.
Zoe
Saturday 22 August 2015 2.59pm
The victory of Syriza and Podermos in Spain show that a left wing party can do very well.
Saturday 22 August 2015 3.33pm
Zoe wrote:
The victory of Syriza and Podermos in Spain show that a left wing party can do very well.

Syriza? Tsipras has resigned and is calling for new elections, at the same time 25 MPs have walked away from Syriza to join a more left leaning parliamentary group.

Hardly an example worth following...
Saturday 22 August 2015 3.52pm
An interesting analysis by James Naughtie for the BBC:

Labour leadership contest awash with excitement and despair
Sunday 23 August 2015 9.25am
Zoe wrote:
This isn't Spain or Greece.
Sunday 23 August 2015 4.18pm
What a bunch of doom-mongers!

Admittedly, the sight of the Labour Party pulling itself to pieces because thousands of people, young and old, are joining because they finally agree with what a politician is saying, is embarrassing.

The three automatons have spent the entire campaign either slagging off Corbyn or spouting verbless phrases about 'aspiration' and 'business'. That our MP has distanced himself from the fact he nominated Corbyn doesn't look like anything more than cowardly careerism, though when Jezza wins it'll be interesting which Labour MPs come crawling back looking for a shadow cabinet post.

Regardless of the outcome, imagine how dreary it would have been with just the three of those bland middle managers in contention. It all adds to the gaiety of the nation.
Sunday 23 August 2015 5.23pm
JasonSE1 wrote:
That our MP has distanced himself from the fact he nominated Corbyn doesn't look like anything more than cowardly careerism, though when Jezza wins it'll be interesting which Labour MPs come crawling back looking for a shadow cabinet post.
Regardless of the outcome, imagine how dreary it would have been with just the three of those bland middle managers in contention. It all adds to the gaiety of the nation.

I hear you, and I agree 100%.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 2 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions