London SE1 community website

What would a Corbyn victory mean for Southwark Labour?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 4 of 11
Monday 24 August 2015 12.46pm
Back in the day....
We weren't allowed to demonstrate and picket outside South Africa House.
We ended up with a 24 hour demo/picket on the steps of St Martin's (I'm feeling old)
Monday 24 August 2015 3.11pm
Thebunhouse wrote:
The only criticism I have with that doctored photo is that it is doctored.

I don't believe it was doctored, and is part of a series of images taken in rapid succession.

Here's another one, slighty different:

All legs present and correct...
Monday 24 August 2015 3.36pm
So where and how did the police legs go if not by doctoring.
What point was trying to be made by publishing that photo?
Monday 24 August 2015 5.50pm
Thebunhouse wrote:
So where and how did the police legs go if not by doctoring.
What point was trying to be made by publishing that photo?

That image was taken while the two constables were in their stride, and the angle does not allow the viewer to see the legs off the ground (except perhaps the left knee and a portion of shin in the case of the male officer).

I see no reason why anyone would want to 'doctor' that photo by purposely editing out limbs.
Monday 24 August 2015 9.28pm
..and no left leg of the woman who in the first photo appears to be wearing a pencil skirt with an apparent split of about 4-5 inches and in the second she is wearing a quite voluminous skirt and she has two legs .
I cannot see a trace of a left leg in the first.
My point is repeated please tell me what you find wrong or objectionable to Jeremy Corbyn's placard and what is the point of publishing it whether or not it is doctored.
Monday 24 August 2015 9.42pm
Thebunhouse wrote:
..and no left leg of the woman who in the first photo appears to be wearing a pencil skirt with an apparent split of about 4-5 inches and in the second she is wearing a quite voluminous skirt and she has two legs .
I cannot see a trace of a left leg in the first.
My point is repeated please tell me what you find wrong or objectionable to Jeremy Corbyn's placard and what is the point of publishing it whether or not it is doctored.

I stand by what I have already said re retouching and legs: no point in repeating myself.

As for the placard, I find nothing wrong or objectionable about the message it carries: it expresses exactly my views as they were before the fall in South Africa of that sick policy known as apartheid.

I have no sympathy towards those Brits who supported SA during that awful period, and that of course includes Maggie as well as the sports people who decided to go down there to play.
Tuesday 25 August 2015 4.50pm
For those of us who are not Labour Party supporters but do not want to see the Conservatives holding total sway for decades to come the debacle of the current Labour leadership election is not welcome. MPs such as Neil Coyle who had no intention of supporting Jeremy Corbyn but saw fit to nominate him in order foster some sort of debate should surely have seen where this would go. Widespread public alienation from dull machine politics and politicians make Corbyn's simplistic remedies appeal to many right now. Economic realities (as in Greece) will no doubt hold sway whoever is leading any of the parties but my concern about Corbyn is more related to foreign affairs and Britain's place in the world. Frankly Corbyn's record shows that he has always tended to support what he has seen as "hard left" individuals and organisations whether or not they advocated or employed lethal violence and terrorism in order to get their way. It is one thing to call for talks with such as Sinn Fein in Ireland in order to explore ways to persuade them away from extreme conduct. It is quite another thing to associate on a friendly basis with IRA leaders and fail to criticise their actions as their bombs tear apart innocent people - both Irish and British. Is getting out of NATO sensible in this uncertain world? Would Europe be dismissed as a "rich man's club" and our crucial place in it thrown away by failure to campaign energetically to beat the right wing Tory europhobes and win the impending referendum?

We are in for what Confucius would have described as "interesting times".
Zoe
Tuesday 25 August 2015 6.12pm
It's perfectly reasonable to meet Sinn Fein, they are part of the government of Northern Ireland.
Wednesday 26 August 2015 9.40am
Indeed they are, Zoe, after a difficult and delicate process in which IRA/Sinn Fein eventually recognised that they were not going to achieve the objective which in their view had justified their appalling violence and must settle for less. Incidentally Tony Blair for all his faults did play a central role in bringing this about.

The lengthy British security operation included several bad mistakes (of which Bloody Sunday was perhaps the worst) but successive British governments stuck to the principle that separation of Northern Ireland from the United Kingdom must only be permitted by consent of the people of Northern Ireland. In the end that principle was maintained and is at the heart of the settlement now accepted by all but a recalcitrant few.

My point about Jeremy Corbyn is that he never accepted that the people of Northern Ireland should have that right. He evidently believed that a United Ireland imposed by force majeure was a valid objective and he showed no objection to the methods of the IRA back in the days when the killing by them of Irish - both Protestant and Catholic - and British people was at its height.

By the way as all statements about Ireland need Balance I stress that the actions of "loyalist" terrorists were also totally reprehensible. In the end they also had to accept change and permit the power-sharing and parity of esteem that they had fought against throughout "the troubles".
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 4 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions