London SE1 community website

What would a Corbyn victory mean for Southwark Labour?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 6 of 11
Friday 28 August 2015 10.54pm
GNeil Coyle??? Another traitor to the original Labour party movement....careers only. It is fascinating how much these unprincipled tories in disguise suddenly become very principled over voting methodology in this leadership election....it us a sick joke. It is they not Jeremy who is leading the party to disaster...at this rate will be a miracle if anyone at all wants to join the circus sorry parity
Saturday 29 August 2015 8.52am
I do believe that Jeremy Corbyn's nomination for the leadership is a good thing, but I do not believe he would be the right person to lead the Labour Party in the next General Election. Michael Foot comes to mind.
His nomination has stirred the interest of some of the public as to what Labour's deep and abiding principles are although they have been carefully hidden from public view for far too long.
I would correct Floodplain, or rather differ, as to the conclusions to be drawn from the Newsnight focus groups. As I understood it none of them had voted for Labour in the last election and most had not done so in the previous election (2010) but that was understandable when one heard the comment from one of the women who said "I think David Cameron is doing a good job" and was sincere in saying it.
They all seem to have accepted everything the media, including the BBC (which seems to be doing all that it can to remain on good terms with the government) throws at Corbyn and unfortunately mud sticks.

"Their(sic) was absolutely no doubt or hesitation in their minds that they were not going to vote for him".

Although they indicated they would not vote for him I got the impression that they would not vote Labour again because not one of them seemed to be a natural supporter of Labour.

But in five years time when the NHS has been completely dismantled and they have seriously sick members of their families they will be praying for a Corbyn type politician to come to the rescue.
Saturday 29 August 2015 10.42am
The irony, for me, is that if Corbyn winds up leader and fights the next election as leader, then Labour will get trounced I'm afraid, meaning another 5 years of Tory government, after which, the time will be right for a Corbyn type, but Labour would have swung back to the right.

I often wonder where we would be now if New Labour was never born, would the old lot, clause 4 and corduroy, have eventually gained power?
Saturday 29 August 2015 7.36pm
Oh how I mourn the death of John Smith, probably there would have been:

No New Labour
No malevolent influence from Mandelson
No corduroy and duffel coats.
And a Labour Party we would find acceptable as would the electorate.
Sunday 30 August 2015 9.57am
I recall Tony Benn voicing support and admiration for John Smith. A decent person. But unwell and his sudden demise not to be. Cords and duffel not that bad. Foot was decent also but in soft left tradition was ripe for being got at by Healey Hattersley etcetera I was at Labour Brighton conference and recall Kinnock support for Healey just to stop Benn. Soft left
Supporting right wing.. there should be left Labour. Right Tory and stodgy liberals where they have always been whatever new names they come up with.....although the old Liberals were most instrumental in the founding of NHS a true example of caring Social ism at its humane best. Withe Labour's help absolutely. It was their baby... never the Tories child so consequently can't love it as a true parent can they? Generally speaking.......
Sunday 30 August 2015 10.07am
Tony Blair comments on Jeremy and supporters as Alice in Wonderland. Well he should known all about that!!! He never really left "wonderland" did he?
Saturday 12 September 2015 11.16am
Well, the leadership results are in:

Jeremy Corbyn: 59%
Andy Burnham: 19%
Yvette Cooper: 17%
Liz Kendall: 4.5%

A resounding landslide victory for Corbyn, one achieved in the first round.

Deputy leader will be Tom Watson who was elected in the third round.

Our MP urged voters to stay away from Corbyn, and to give their preferences to Cooper, Burnham, and Kendall, in that order.

Let us now see if Labour's new leadership can step away from the blandness that cost it 3 General Elections and inspire a renewed boldness of spirit and intent within the Party.
Saturday 12 September 2015 12.27pm
Agree++
Saturday 12 September 2015 12.57pm
One thing we should take into account, is that Corbyn was elected by the majority of people who have the right to vote in a Labour leadership contest.

I am guessing that the Parliamentary Labour Party's support for him did not run to 59%: I would estimate their endorsement of Corbyn to be much lower.

So I hope that the new leader will not find his efforts being undermined by fellow Labour MPs and Peers, and ignored by Labour controlled local authorities such as Southwark, whose housing strategies (bedding down with big money developers and displacing working class residents) are everything Corbyn stands against...

In short, I hope that Peter John and Co take serious note of the winds of change within Labour and make some much needed strategy and policy adjustments.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 6 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions