London SE1 community website

What would a Corbyn victory mean for Southwark Labour?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 7 of 11
Saturday 12 September 2015 11.17am
Power to the normal people! I'm not a Labour supporter, but really pleased that Jeremy was victorious. The political class say he is unelectable, but of all the Labour bunch he is the only one I'd even consider voting for. Well done!
Saturday 12 September 2015 11.21am
Yes, **It's official** - the UK now has no viable or credible opposition to the Tories.

Tired old 70s policies that didn't work back then and won't work now.

A pseudo-coward hugely weak on defense and military action abroad.

In summary, Labour are now as unelectable and irrelevant as the Lib Dems.
Saturday 12 September 2015 12.26pm
Boss St Bloke wrote:
Yes, **It's official** - the UK now has no viable or credible opposition to the Tories.
Tired old 70s policies that didn't work back then and won't work now.

A pseudo-coward hugely weak on defense and military action abroad.

In summary, Labour are now as unelectable and irrelevant as the Lib Dems.

Straight out of the Murdoch press.....
I think you will find there are millions who want:
- A rebalancing of the economy away from favouring the elite and the banks and towards people. Germany for example has nationalised transport and utilities and business friendly policies combined with liberal social polices. Is that 'not working?'
- You can call JC many things but he is no coward. He just doesn't favour bombing people as a solution to complex international disputes. How has that done us so far? Good?
- Labour will now have a principles based core on which to attract voters rather than simply being Tory-lite.
Wait and see...
Saturday 12 September 2015 12.30pm
I think you and I agree for once, Brendan. I'm still firmly Lib Dem though!
Zoe
Saturday 12 September 2015 4.00pm
Odd to call Corbyn a coward, when he is one of the few principled politicians who won't just cowardly give in to win a few votes. Objecting to bombing people is not cowardice and bombing people from drones is not an act of bravery.
Saturday 12 September 2015 7.16pm
I am a long standing member of the Labour Party. I have voted for David rather than Ed. I voted for Tessa Jowell for Mayor of London. I voted for Liz Kendall and Yvette Cooper for Leader of The Labour Party.

Democracy has ruled. And I will give Jeremy Corbyn the chance that he deserves.
Saturday 12 September 2015 7.29pm
Boss St Bloke,

Please explain to me what you mean by calling Jeremy Corbyn a "pseudo-coward" ?
Do you mean -as your choice of words indicate - that Corbyn is not really a coward and he is only playacting at being a coward ?
Or do you mean he is a coward ?
If so why use the word "pseudo" ?
Perhaps it is used to intellectualize your "SUN" type comments.
Saturday 12 September 2015 10.53pm
This is a huge gamble, which, if it goes wrong, will leave us with another, possibly two more Tory governments. Doesn't bear thinking about.

Before the General election in 83, Foot was packing halls out wherever he went. Just saying.

Hope I'm wrong.
Sunday 13 September 2015 7.35am
The question was "What will a Corbyn victory mean for Southwark Labour ?"

Perhaps it will remind the Southwark Labour administration that they are elected by the people for the people and not for furtherance of property developers profits. It may even slow down the mad dash to achieve the New York skyline that Peter John seems to believe is the only one possible in the north of the borough, not only slow it down but bring it to a halt.
It may remind the Southwark Cabinet that they should represent the views and aspirations of Labour voters who elected them and should not behave as watered down acolytes of Cameron and Osborne.
With luck Southwark will regain a true Labour heart and soul and a desire to implement those values of which they- the Labour councillors- seem to be bereft.
Sunday 13 September 2015 12.50pm
Rejoice, just rejoice!

A big thank you to Neil Coyle for helping to make this result possible.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 7 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions