London SE1 community website

Waterless Urinals - saving water, saving money

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Monday 31 August 2015 4.44pm
Hi Karen.
The urinals fitted in the 80's flush avert 15-20 minutes.they send aboout 40 litres of drinking water down the toilet every hour.. Apart from wasting a load of drinking water, its's costing us a fortune, I haven't done the maths, but it's probably hundreds of pounds a year. Infra-red operated, or push-buttons, could be expensive to fit an clumsy.
We're hoping to install 'Dual flush' cisterns as well, but the savings from these will be marginal compared to the urinals.
Zoe
Monday 31 August 2015 7.31pm
Couldn't you just get rid of the urinals and have only toilets?
Monday 31 August 2015 8.35pm
Zoe's right graham, don't know much about urinals, did I read that correctly they flush automatically ever 15 to 20 minutes?
Tuesday 1 September 2015 8.47am
Lose the urinals all together?
It would reduce the capacity of the toilets, increasing wait time for men, I fear it may also mean more cleaning behind and around the sit-downs. It might end up using more water, if they were flushed at every use.
Tuesday 1 September 2015 12.11pm
Zoe wrote:
Couldn't you just get rid of the urinals and have only toilets?
Seriously?

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 1 September 2015 12.14pm
Zoe wrote:
Would a compost toilet be something you could try?
Indoor composting toilets? Pretty niche, IME.

Zoe
Tuesday 1 September 2015 12.24pm
Ivanhoe, yes seriously! Are men not able to use toilets? It's what most people have in their houses. Graham's points are important of course, so it has to be balanced, but perhaps they could fit low flow toilets to reduce water usage.

I feel like I'm missing something key here about men!
Tuesday 1 September 2015 12.40pm
boroughonian wrote:
I worked in a building that had a few of these in it. We spoke to the contactor about them and he said they are great but you have to get the maintenance right otherwise they start stinking, something to do with the chemicals used to flush it out. I can't tell you anymore as it was out of my jurisdiction.
They've been around a while so no flash in the pan.

I can second that - we have them at work and if the correct cleaning product isn't used then they do start to smell pretty bad - but otherwise I think they're a good idea.
Tuesday 1 September 2015 1.26pm
Zoe - have you not noticed that men's toilets have shorter, faster-moving queues than women's? I thought this was a truth universally acknowledged.

Yes, men can use toilets, but it's quicker and easier for them to use urinals for urinating (which, I'd suggest, makes up the large majority of toilet visits).

Urinals have been in toilets for a LONG time. There is a reason for this. I thought it was common knowledge, even amongst women.

Zoe
Tuesday 1 September 2015 6.10pm
I suspect that Draper House doesn't get the sort of numbers that requires a high volume design, so any slight delay men experience will be more than made up for by the cost savings.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions