London SE1 community website

Distressed Chicken at Charles Dickens Primary School

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Wednesday 9 September 2015 1.36pm
Oh, the poor creature!

The hen screams often on Sunday's and evenings, late into the night. I've often heard her at 1 or 3 am. When I spoke to the school last year, I was told that it was something disturbing or waking the chickens, not that it was a very lonely and distressed hen.
That's terribly cruel.

Recently Saturday and Sunday daytime it screaches.

If the only way to get that poor creature help, is to complain about the noise, then I'm complaining about the noise now!
Wednesday 9 September 2015 1.36pm
We should ALL complain about the noise.

SAVE THE HEN

Apathy will get it killed
Wednesday 9 September 2015 1.42pm
Thanks all ! I have contacted the editor of the Southwark News as suggested - thank you - and they say they may be interested in the story.
Wednesday 9 September 2015 3.02pm
Do Chickens Dream of Electric Foxes?
Wednesday 9 September 2015 3.19pm
I'd not wait for the Southwark News to do something, I'd email the head again and say you've spoken to the press and then see what happens. The poor chickie shouldn't be in this situation until there's a slow news day.
Wednesday 9 September 2015 8.09pm
Would the best idea not be to actually check whether the chicken actually is in distress before running to the press?

No distressed chicken noise this evening, nor this morning. To my completely amateur eye, those chickens have always appeared to be well cared for and as happy as any chicken I've seen.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 9 September 2015 9.39pm
The hen has been yelling out for a long time now. It's not every night, but I heard her this weekend. You're lucky if you can't hear anything from your flat, this place is noisy outside.

Really, the centre of London is not a fair or decent place to keep hens.
Thursday 10 September 2015 10.01am
If the chicken has been "distressed" for "several months", evidenced by "repetitive and ceaseless squawking...more or less continuously", then why hasn't anyone actually gone down to the school and talked to someone?

I'm in no way trying to downplay animal welfare. If there are animals being mistreated, my view is that action needs to be taken quickly.

However, I struggle to believe that the school would let an animal be mistreated, and I wonder whether anyone has actually got all the facts or whether there's some misunderstanding or exaggeration at work.

It's all very well tweeting, calling the press, etc, but isn't this a situation where 5 minutes of face to face contact (or even a phone call to the school office) could have clarified and resolved this months ago?

Sunday 27 September 2015 7.14pm
Is there any update on this animal welfare issue, or was it a storm in an eggcup?
[couldn't resist the pun, but my concern IS genuine]

Tuesday 29 September 2015 12.39pm
Thanks Ivanhoe, yes there is an update. After contacting this forum and Southwark News the Head Teacher finally replied to my emails! I was told that the bird had been 'injured' but had now recovered and was to be reintegrated with the other birds. (It was evidently making the distress call because it was separated.) It does seem to be a huge co-incidence that the chicken 'recovered' when the issue was highlighted on this forum. Thankfully the bird does not seem to be making a distress call anymore (and a relief for myself and my neighbours) so hopefully the bird has reintegrated. I still find it a bit strange that following my emails the cessation of chicken distress call was so sudden and so complete - after such a continued history of distress - that I just hope that other measures were not actually taken to shut it up. My only question is why did it take 18 months for the school to do anything about this bird's obvious distress and then only because I and my neighbours cared enough to try to highlight its plight?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

This thread has been closed
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions