London SE1 community website

Distressed Chicken at Charles Dickens Primary School

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Wednesday 30 September 2015 12.52am
If the chickens are all ok, that's great news.
My only question is why this was allegedly going on for 18 months (despite me walking past the chicken area every other day and hearing nothing), with all the "concerned" people not bothered enough to actually talk to anyone.
Tweeting is surely for the birds is situations like this. Why not take 5 mins to drop in or at least phone?

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 30 September 2015 9.29am
Hi Ivanhoe you asked this before and I was too fatigued to speak to this at the time...the reason this took so long was that when it first started approx 18 months ago I and my neighbours where at a loss as to what the noise actually was. It was spasmodic at the beginning, mostly at night and extremely repetitive ... almost like a machine. I even thought it might be an electronic animal scaring machine (if such a thing exists to scare foxes etc) because it literally went on all day and all night at regular intervals and we couldn't believe a living bird/animal could sustain this without dying. Then about 8 months ago when we had more or less resigned ourselves to it because we just didn't know what the nose was I had a chance meeting with a new neighbour who knew what it was and had already rung the school to complain several times. This was then when I and my neighbours here also started to contact the school but our emails and phonecalls were ignored. This summer the bird was more or less screaming all day and night again and one afternoon in August it was absolutely continuous over and over again for approx 4 hours and that was when I rang the RSPCA. The rest I think I have already posted about. The question I think is not why we took so long ... we have been trying to get a response for a long time ... but why did the school take so long to help the bird or get rid of it which is my suspicion. Why were they not more concerned to eliviate the suffering of the bird when it was so obviously distressed and why did they not reply to us until I posted on this forum? In answer to your other point I have no idea why you didn't ever hear it. There were a lot of people troubled by the noise in this block and a neighbour said it was so bad at night for him that he was kept awake and it was effecting his employment. This neighbour actually told the school this but it made not a jot of difference. There would be absolutely no point in all this if it were made up! The bird was in distress clearly for a very long time and the school did nothing. When the school did return my emails (after the forum posting) and I was able to make my point to the head teacher finally the noise stopped over night .... Just like that ... not one peep after 18 months. So either the bird is ... variously ... shut up somewhere where we cannot hear it/ taken 'away' or just happy to be back with the other birds... If the latter then I think it is appalling that the school left the bird to suffer for 18 months if the solution to all this aggro was so simple. Clearly did not care about bird or good relations with neighbours etc.
Thursday 1 October 2015 9.31am
I am pleased to hear the distressed chicken problem has been resolved. It does appear that the threat of bad publicity and the exposure on this forum achieved a response from the school that you had been trying to get for so long. If the school had reacted to your earliest communications there would have been no need for you to have reported this in the first place.
I cannot understand the reason the Headmistress ignored your emails and phone calls for so long, I am sure she has an answer that will satisfy our curiosity.
Perhaps not and she will ignore this forum as she ignored you for so long.

Well done Kate for your perseverance.
Thursday 1 October 2015 9.41am
Thebunhouse wrote:
I am pleased to hear the distressed chicken problem has been resolved. It does appear that the threat of bad publicity and the exposure on this forum achieved a response from the school that you had been trying to get for so long. If the school had reacted to your earliest communications there would have been no need for you to have reported this in the first place.
I cannot understand the reason the Headmistress ignored your emails and phone calls for so long, I am sure she has an answer that will satisfy our curiosity.
Perhaps not and she will ignore this forum as she ignored you for so long.

Well done Kate for your perseverance.

This barely covert campaign against Charles Dickens that occasionally rears its head is bemusing. You were not involved in any of this yet your post is 1 conclusion you're jumping to, an assumption you're making and passing judgement on that. What's your problem with CD? Jeez.
Thursday 1 October 2015 10.10am
I have no problem with the school.
I am not part of a covert or overt campaign against the school and never have been. Perhaps you could demonstrate the opposite.
I welcome your comment that I had to be involved to justify making a comment. Perhaps you will follow that piece of advice yourself in the future.
Thursday 1 October 2015 10.52am
Assertions that posting on here have changed anything are groundless and stupefying.
As, I suspect, are claims that phone calls go unanswered.
IME any phone call in office hours is answered and dealt with. The school office is also open all day, so if anyone really wanted to raise an issue of urgency, they have the ability to walk in.
But, the preference appears to be to raise concerns on an Internet forum, spread unsubstantiated information, whip up the support of a few other people who appear to have no knowledge of the issue at all and blindly accept anything they're told, and then claim a great success.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 1 October 2015 5.09pm
Has anyone eaten it yet?
Thursday 1 October 2015 10.42pm
graham wrote:
Has anyone eaten it yet?

Distressed chicken doesn't taste great.
Thursday 1 October 2015 11.10pm
edward woodward wrote:
...because intensively reared and industrially slaughtered chickens aren't distressed?
Thursday 1 October 2015 11.54pm
graham wrote:
edward woodward wrote:
...because intensively reared and industrially slaughtered chickens aren't distressed?

Of course they are, that's why they don't have any flavour. I am a carnivore, but it is disgusting how food is produced these days. I grew some tomatoes for the first time in years - reminded me how good they're supposed to taste.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

This thread has been closed
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions