London SE1 community website

Distressed Chicken at Charles Dickens Primary School

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Saturday 3 October 2015 2.04pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
Assertions that posting on here have changed anything are groundless and stupefying.
As, I suspect, are claims that phone calls go unanswered.
IME any phone call in office hours is answered and dealt with. The school office is also open all day, so if anyone really wanted to raise an issue of urgency, they have the ability to walk in.
But, the preference appears to be to raise concerns on an Internet forum, spread unsubstantiated information, whip up the support of a few other people who appear to have no knowledge of the issue at all and blindly accept anything they're told, and then claim a great success.
public opinion and neighbourhood relations are important. Peoples from both, pay the taxes that run the school. There is never any good enough reason to keep a living creature in torment or distress, this is negligence. Negligence does not equate to maliciousness.
If any of us state that concerns or complaints we raise remain unresolved, do not call any of us liars, that's actually libellous.

As Kate quite rightly pointed out, it's sometimes difficult to follow the noises around here as the sound resonates so weirdly sometimes, plus we do not have access to Lant street blocked off section, to readily investigate, ourselves.

I hope that the distressed hen has now been made comfortable. As previously mentioned, city centres are not any sort of a reasonable place to keep hens.
Saturday 3 October 2015 2.35pm
[quote Bloggie][quote Ivanhoe]As previously mentioned, city centres are not any sort of a reasonable place to keep hens.[/quote]

How many chickens are there? If one is distressed while all the others are OK it's hardly unreasonable to keep chickens in relatively quiet corner of a city centre. How much living space do these chickens have? I doubt they're kept like battery hens, which really is obscene.
Monday 5 October 2015 8.42am
kentucky fried?
Monday 5 October 2015 9.48am
Bloggie wrote:
If any of us state that concerns or complaints we raise remain unresolved, do not call any of us liars, that's actually libellous.
I didn't call anyone a liar. And your assertion makes no sense.

Bloggie wrote:
As Kate quite rightly pointed out, it's sometimes difficult to follow the noises around here as the sound resonates so weirdly sometimes, plus we do not have access to Lant street blocked off section, to readily investigate, ourselves.
If your heartfelt complaints remain unresolved over a period of 18 months, when apparently the chicken was constantly in distress (notwithstanding that children and parents who attend the school 5 days out of 7 never seemed to hear it), and you can't be bothered to walk round the block to actually go into the school and talk to someone, then I find it quite difficult to take you, or your stated concern for animal welfare, seriously.
Yes, Lant Street is blocked off, but it's hardly the Berlin Wall, is it?

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 5 October 2015 9.54am
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
How many chickens are there? If one is distressed while all the others are OK it's hardly unreasonable to keep chickens in relatively quiet corner of a city centre. How much living space do these chickens have? I doubt they're kept like battery hens, which really is obscene.

I agree, Edward. There are 4 chickens. One big coop in a wire net chicken-run enclosure (which, as has been said above, apparently meets with RSPCA guidelines), with another one separate and to the side (for, e.g. a refuge when a bird is distressed or needs to be kept separate for any reason).

Both are located in the garden section of the playground, where it's relatively quiet. Lots of greenery in the run, and toys for them to play with. They also get let out for a wander round the garden at times before and after school.

To my admittedly untutored eyes, they look like happy chickens. They certainly have space comparable to a city farm environment.

And do you know how I found out about the chickens and their living conditions, Bloggie? I walked away from the keyboard, walked into the school, and had an old-fashioned face-to-face conversation with someone about it.

But don't let any of this put anyone off some wild speculation...

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 5 October 2015 11.44pm
Ivanhoo, you're quite rude and coming across as a bit of an arse. However, good for you for checking out the hens. See, public discussions are very good for information and opinion sharing.

Still, city centres are full of pollution, not a good place for hens.
Tuesday 6 October 2015 8.39am
Bloggie wrote:
Ivanhoo, you're quite rude and coming across as a bit of an arse. However, good for you for checking out the hens. See, public discussions are very good for information and opinion sharing.
Still, city centres are full of pollution, not a good place for hens.

Hey Bloggie, if Ivanhoe is coming across as "a bit of an arse" (and I don't believe he is), then I'm afraid you are coming across as a bit of a tit. I have never heard such rubbish that calling someone a liar is libelous.

"city centers are full of pollution and not a good place for hens" - sweeping statement, utter crap - have you bothered to asked one?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

This thread has been closed
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions