London SE1 community website

Southwark Fire Station and the Haberdashers' Aske's Federation

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7
Wednesday 23 September 2015 6.31am
I am astonished Aske’s is being considered for this site. They were turned down for a similar project in Dulwich for good reason; they failed to notice millions of pounds being stolen; their results at the flagship Hatcham school have been falling steadily for ten years in spite of constantly being massaged; the results at Knights Academy school are appalling and the Ofsted report there was very bad; the staff turnover at all schools is extremely high; there was according to friends of mine very nearly a strike at Hatcham (the supposedly good school in the chain) over bad working conditions; anecdotal reports from teachers about the federation appointing lots of senior managers at their schools and losing or forcing out their most experienced teachers to save money.

All in all, I wouldn’t trust them, certainly wouldn’t send my own children there. They're not a safe bet in terms of management style or providing a good education. Southwark deserves better.
Wednesday 23 September 2015 7.54am
just looked at Askes New Cross Ofsted report in 2014 and the school was given outstanding on every level-Sam are you saying that Ofsted has got it completely wrong?

How do you massage results? the exams cannot be massaged they are what they are
http://reports.ofsted.gov.uk/inspection-reports/find-inspection-report/provider/ELS/135073
Wednesday 23 September 2015 8.00am
Sorry and to add the last BBC school report for Lewisham schools shows a 74% pass rate for 5 GCSE's if that is going down hill......
Wednesday 23 September 2015 10.18am
Aske's in New Cross, going back to the late 1990s, was an excellent school and was massively oversubscribed. I have no direct experience of it - I didn't go there - but if I had a choice between, say, Harris and Aske's I'd pick the latter. I think a 74% pass rate for 5 GCSEs is very good and from my recollection of research done in preparation for my son's transition to secondary school a few months back would beat most, if not all, Southwark "state" schools.
Thursday 24 September 2015 7.57pm
HAHC has always been a good school because it had strong reliable staff, a good work ethos and an expectancy that pupils would achieve their best. Results are as much to do with the intake than the people running the school. Askes (both girls and boys school which were run independently) had relatively average results when they were local authority schools, when they merged to become a CTC the results improved every year and were well above average. The difference? When it was a CTC it had 'selective' entrance. Haberdashers' Aske's Knights Academy which is also in the Federation has below average results yet it is run by the same CEO and management team, however, it has a more run-down catchment area and this would explain the difference. I think the main point I am trying to make, is that it is more important to query how the school will be run than who runs it. I would be more interested in looking at their recruitment and retention policy, and clear details of their catchment area. I would also want to keep a strong eye on the pay scale because HAHC is very top heavy. The management team - last time I looked - had a combined salary of between £1.2 and £1.4m which is equivalent to about 48 teachers. This may be the same for the Harris schools too; I don't know much about them.
Sunday 4 October 2015 11.13am
Hi All

For those not on the mailing list - they plans are going to be unveiled by Hadston for the Old Southwark Fire Station on Southwark Bridge Road. There will be a public consultation at Jerwood Space Meeting room 9, on the 16th October (1-7pm) and 17th 10am - 3pm.

Boroughood news update: http://us11.campaign-archive1.com/?u=97e6443633965fe2de3016f9e&id=b9c0a37a82&e=00a0ffb82b

At present the site is marked to be a secondary school and residential. More info will be at www.oldsouthwarkfirestation.co.uk

Please do share!
Sunday 11 October 2015 11.31pm
I know this will be unpopular, but am I the only one thinking that a secondary school with over 1000 students will have a massive impact to the area? And not necessarily positive...

Do We really need it? There's a huge secondary in Harper Road just around the corner.

And who's going to buy the promised "good qualittle homes" attached to it?
Monday 12 October 2015 8.43am
Surely the short answer is that the population of Southwark and London is growing rapidly and therefore it stands to reason that more school places will be needed.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 12 October 2015 8.52am
My issue is not with the school per se, but with its size.

At the moment it's a quiet residential area and I believe 1150 students (900 + 250 sixth form) will have a massive impact on the area and not a positive one.

Also I've lived in the area for many years now and I don't see that many teenagers around. When they say there is "demand for secondary places in the area" maybe they mean there is need in nearby areas (Elephant? Camberwell? Old Kent Rd?).

Regarding the homes I was just wondering who's going to pay 500k+ (the price of a one bed in the area) to live on top of a huge secondary school?
Monday 12 October 2015 9.16am
"Do we really need it?"

Do you have knowledge of the current state of provision of secondary places in this part of Southwark, Marco?

Would you like families to be able to bring up teenagers here, or would you prefer what happens to a large extent at the moment which is that people have a baby here, possibly stick it out until primary school (although a lot of folks move out of SE1 before that point), and then tend to move out of Inner London before their children go to secondary school?

There's a lot of discussion on here from time to time about social cleansing in relation to capping of benefits. Not so much about the practical difficulties of bringing up children when (1) there's forecast to be a shortage of school places, and (2) a significant proportion of those places aren't actually available unless you're a practicing member of one or another faith.

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions