London SE1 community website

Southwark Fire Station and the Haberdashers' Aske's Federation

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 4 of 7
Monday 12 October 2015 9.17am
A quick google would get you to somewhere like here, Marco (expecting a shortfall in secondary places over the next few years).
http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/documents/s55562/Report%20Primary%20and%20secondary%20school%20place%20planning%20strategy%20and%20Appendices%201-3.pdf

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 12 October 2015 10.58am
Shock horror(!) but I agree with all you say, Ivanhoe.
Monday 12 October 2015 11.16am
Thank you Ivanhoe: if the projections in that document are reliable then I guess we do need more schools in the area.

I'm not too sure this will stop families in the area from moving to the suburbs in the short term: I guess this will depend on the reputation that the school will build for itself.

Ok, so maybe I am the only one thinking that such a big school will change the area drastically.

Or maybe I'm the only one that lived next to a big school in the past and don't really want to repeat the experience...
Monday 12 October 2015 11.28am
MarcoC wrote:
Thank you Ivanhoe: if the projections in that document are reliable then I guess we do need more schools in the area...
I'm not too sure this will stop families in the area from moving to the suburbs in the short term: I guess this will depend on the reputation that the school will build for itself.

Ok, so maybe I am the only one thinking that such a big school will change the area drastically.

Or maybe I'm the only one that lived next to a big school in the past and knows the effect...

and the demographic of the school, which is, what I've always felt free schools were all about, from the very first Toby Young interview I saw.
Monday 12 October 2015 11.34am
I think there's a difference between those free schools set up entirely for ideological reasons and to put two fingers up to the educational establishment, like Toby Young's, and those which are set up to meet a clearly identified lack of school places in a given geographical area.

As noted upthread, under the current Government it is not possible to open a state school that is not a 'free school' in structure and governance - so the choice is between a 'free school' or no school.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 12 October 2015 11.53am
MarcoC wrote:
Thank you Ivanhoe: if the projections in that document are reliable then I guess we do need more schools in the area.

Or maybe I'm the only one that lived next to a big school in the past and don't really want to repeat the experience...

Cheers, Marco.

I currently live close to two of the secondary schools in the area, and don't notice any effects, other than that the streets are more alive in the morning with people walking to school (which I find a lot better than them being empty, or just full of young adults).

The way I look at it (even putting aside the reasons I stated above re shortage of places), the fire station site will either be:

- entirely (non-social, expensive - despite some of it no doubt being branded "affordable") housing, or;

- a new secondary school, with some housing.

Monday 12 October 2015 12.00pm
boroughonian wrote:
..and the demographic of the school, which is, what I've always felt free schools were all about, from the very first Toby Young interview I saw.

Not quite sure what you mean here, boroughnian, but I'm guessing that you have an idea of the typical demographic of a free school, and that you don't approve of that idea.

Personally, I think the decentralising of control over schools is barmy, BUT as has been said, it's free school or no school.

Personally, I feel more strongly about the (to me, thoroughly unfair and illogical) heavy control that various religions currently have over admission to many schools in our area than I do about free schools.

The establishment of an additional non-denominational secondary school in the area would, to me, be A Good Thing and the benefits of that would outweigh the fact that the only way this can happen at present is via the free school route.

Monday 12 October 2015 12.15pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
Personally, I think the decentralising of control over schools is barmy
Although touted as part of the 'localism' agenda, in reality free schools are about super-centralisation of control - all decisions about opening new schools rest with the secretary of state in his/her Whitehall office.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 12 October 2015 12.25pm
Absolutely, James.

I suppose that there's arguably an element of localism in the planning and application process to open a free school (apart from the fact that this route completely ignores the needs of the broader local community and can end up in a new school being set up in an area where there are already plenty of school places - and to the detriment of existing local schools - and the fact that in many cases it's the national groups of school operators who end up running new free schools), but I agree that the whole free school process is basically central gov't trying to cut out the LEAs.

Monday 12 October 2015 12.50pm
Why are faith schools a problem? If they have enough of that faith from the area to fill the school then where's the problem? St Michael's used to (probably still does) take children from over the water, where there were no Catholic schools. I bet it's over subscribed too.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 4 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions