London SE1 community website

TFL consulatation "Smartphone displays Uber app London taxi rules would 'end Uber'"

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Saturday 3 October 2015 9.22am
If you want to try Uber for free.
Get a free ride by clicking and joining here
Free Uber ride
Monday 5 October 2015 1.01am
The very idea that any self-respecting Londoner would dream of using anything other than a black cab astounds me. Those guys are part of our community (5 on my street alone) and train long and hard to serve us all and for that they reserve respect and support. I will gladly pay them the money they deserve because I know they will get me to my destination the safest and most efficient way.
Monday 5 October 2015 2.48am
electro.gal wrote:
The very idea that any self-respecting Londoner would dream of using anything other than a black cab astounds me. Those guys are part of our community (5 on my street alone) and train long and hard to serve us all and for that they reserve respect and support. I will gladly pay them the money they deserve because I know they will get me to my destination the safest and most efficient way.

Here here: I couldn't have said it best myself.
Monday 5 October 2015 8.18am
Jules62 wrote:
electro.gal wrote:

Here here: I couldn't have said it best myself.

Agreed as well.
Monday 5 October 2015 10.07am
Electro.gal (I have a problem with anonymous names, but that's for another time)
That's your choice, could you support me in making a choice too, please?
Monday 5 October 2015 10.32am
Have a lot of respect for the black taxis. They have worked very hard to attain the standard required and there is a certain quality about them. NB: Several family members are black taxi drivers.

As a consumer though, I rarely if ever use them. The last time was about a year ago, a ride from Tottenham Court Road back to Bricklayers' Arms, a fare which cost 28!! The taxi driver deliberately stopped and gave way to umpteen other taxis along the way, started slowing for traffic lights when they had just turned green and generally made the whole thing a protracted journey. I don't have an issue per se with him giving way or driving fairly slowly, but when that has a direct impact on the fare I end up paying then do. A bad experience from a bad taxi driver. However, he had a monopoly because I was stuck at the number 1 bus stop and after an hour realised the number 1 wasn't coming, had no mobile and therefore had no choice but to hail a black cab.

Uber is itself not something I have used and would be unlikely to. I would much rather use a reputable minicab firm, such as Downtown Cars or Dockhead, where the fare is given/known in advance, the driver's language skills are accepted and, most importantly, his topographical skills are acceptable enough to get me to my destination in a reasonable time.

Just as there are good and bad black taxi drivers, there are similarly good and bad minicab firms/drivers. There is space in the market for all of them to earn a good living.

The black cab drivers have a similar app themselves, Halo, and have had Computercab etc for at least 20 years. They are also at liberty to discount fares - as confirmed by a caller to LBC last week and as a (black taxi driver) relative has himself told me.

Although on paper you might find many "poor" black taxi and minicab drivers, in reality you'll never find one. I say this advisedly. In a past life, I remember assisting with a divorce for a black cab driver (around 2006) and his declared income was a very modest 14,400. His divorce fees far exceeded that amount and he came into the office with 15,000 in cash. We had concerns because he had already given as part of the divorce process supposedly full and frank financial disclosure and he had no bank accounts containing such a sum and no evidence of a withdrawal.
Monday 5 October 2015 11.29am
Gavin Smith wrote:
Although on paper you might find many "poor" black taxi and minicab drivers, in reality you'll never find one. I say this advisedly. In a past life, I remember assisting with a divorce for a black cab driver (around 2006) and his declared income was a very modest 14,400. His divorce fees far exceeded that amount and he came into the office with 15,000 in cash. We had concerns because he had already given as part of the divorce process supposedly full and frank financial disclosure and he had no bank accounts containing such a sum and no evidence of a withdrawal.

So where did the money come from?
Monday 5 October 2015 11.44am
It would be pure speculation, Edward, but I'd hazard a guess at undeclared cash income. I apprehend that I am not tarring all taxi drivers with such a suggestion. The point I'm really driving at is many taxi drivers plead poverty when that is really not the case or generally just make things out to be much worse than they really are.
Monday 5 October 2015 11.56am
Oh the hypocrisy is killing me, can we cross reference this thread with the cereal killer one?

Self respecting Londoners have been using mini cab firms for decades, many self respecting Londoners could not afford a black cab.
Thursday 8 October 2015 10.58pm
theedy wrote:
I am not sure I quite get it. The app I use the most is Hailo, a black cab one, also Gett, the same. I do have Uber, mainly for the US, Addison Lee for trips to airports and Taxi Bleu and Taxi G7 for Paris.
Most black cab drivers understand the world is changing and are signing up to apps ( and are beginning to have contact card payment.) Why TFL is trying to support the unreformed minority defeats me, they should support us, the customers.

The most common way for me to get a cab is to walk to the end of the road and put my hand out.

( I can't wait for Tom Pepper to join this debate.)

To be perfectly honest theedy, I've only just noticed this thread.
I rarely visit the Forum now, I spend more time on another one, but have just been hit with a seven day ban for a post that would have been considered completely innocuous on here.
At a loss with how to spend my retirement, I stuck my nose back in here and saw your post.
I have to admit, your mention of Taxi G7, of Paris, brought a tear to my eye.
The computerised radio circuit that I subscribed to had a reciprocal deal with G7, and many was the time that I stood at the Eurostar arrivals with M. Defarge or Duvalier on a name board.
They would look at the board, say, "That is me", and I would launch into my "Bonjour M'sieu, accueillir Londres, o voulez-vous aller? It knocked them sideways when a two bob Bermondsey boy taxi driver could hold his own in their language.
Naturally, having spent around thirty years tooling around our fair city I have an opinion on almost anything to do with moving people around by taxi, but let me read the entire thread, then I'll have an idea of how best to put forward my opinions, plus I have to bear in mind that things have moved on since I sent my battered green badge, two licences, and green badge number identifiers, (one each on windshield and rear window), back to Palestra in Blackfriars Road SE1, that was in February 2012.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions