London SE1 community website

TFL consulatation "Smartphone displays Uber app London taxi rules would 'end Uber'"

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5
Wednesday 14 October 2015 3.55pm
mickybar wrote:
Am I contributing to kill the black cab business? I don't think so, because I'd rather wait for a night bus rather than spending 20-30 on a short ride home. So, if my choice is really damaging a business, is rather TFL business.

Well said. Glad I'm not the only one!
Wednesday 14 October 2015 11.20pm
I unfortunately know of black cabbies which don't declare past history. Not very nice people.
When arrested give other people names address ?

Years ago black cabs like police where honest trust worthy, no longer case!

Why should people not have choice for so long black cabs had all their way!

Now like gas/ electric people are not monopolised by having to use certain services !
Thursday 15 October 2015 1.21am
Jane Druid st wrote:
I unfortunately know of black cabbies which don't declare past history. Not very nice people.
When arrested give other people names address ?

Years ago black cabs like police where honest trust worthy, no longer case!

Why should people not have choice for so long black cabs had all their way!

Now like gas/ electric people are not monopolised by having to use certain services !

With the best will in the world Jane, your post doesn't make much sense.
You say you know of black cab drivers who don't declare past history, to whom?
When you do The Knowledge, TFL know exactly who you are from your DVLA licence details.
They liaise with the police, so it's no good you saying that you are as pure as the driven snow, if you nicked a tube of Smarties as a kid, and were caught, they will know about it.
If I had been arrested, I'd have had a green badge around my neck with a number on it, and a licence with my photo on it giving my name as Tom Pepper, that badge number could be checked against TFL records to establish that I was Tom Pepper, and not John Smith.
If you meant arrested prior to doing The Knowledge, I think that the police wouldn't just take your word for it when you give them a name and address.
Black cab drivers used to be trustworthy, but no longer?
You're having a laugh I take it, no doubt there were, or still are, some who are a bit edgy, but in all my years of driving a black cab, ANYTHING I found in the back, or anything found by a fare and given to me was handed in at the first convenient police station.
If I found a phone that wasn't locked, I'd scroll through contacts until I found home, or mum, or dad, and tell whoever answered that I had a phone that belonged to someone they knew, I'd give them my number, and I'd get the phone back to them if I could, and I'd never take a reward, my old mum always said, "You don't take a reward for doing the right thing."
I found a Canadian passport in the back one day and took it to Albany Road police station, NW1.
They said that it would be there for seven days until the next lost property bag was taken to Baker Street lost property office.
I took it back from the civilian clerk and took it to Canada House in Trafalgar Square.
A couple of months later I received a thank you letter from the Canadian High Commissioner with a cheque for $100 Canadian dollars from the passport holder, with the payee name left blank.
I filled in Cancer Research and sent it back to the guy in Ottawa.
Finally, people DO have a choice, they can use buses or minicabs, but I don't agree with Uber's method of using their app as a meter, only black cabs can have meters in London by law, if you want that changed, write your M.P., or petition TFL.
Thursday 15 October 2015 3.24am
I use both black cabs and uber regularly. Black cabs are great: they can be hailed curbside, can use bus lanes (essential during rush hour) and are wheelchair accessible. But they are very expensive. Uber is fantastic: you can track everything online, including your car's location, the driver, the route taken, and an estimate of the fare (which is based on the distance travelled and the time taken - not sure how else you should calculate this?). It is MUCH cheaper, plus, they come to you! Since everything is tracked online there is almost no chance of a meandering route (you would simply send a dispute to uber via the app and they would investigate - and they are very good with customer service - although it is also rare that a black cab will try to get one over on you tbf and I've always found them an honest bunch). If you ever forget something in the car, uber will contact the driver and they will come get it back to you asap. A friend of mine forgot his keys in the back but didn't realise for a couple of hours. After contacting uber, the driver had returned within the hour to return them free of charge (and refused a tip, although finally relented when my mate insisted).

The marketplace is certainly more competitive now, but as others have said above the better way to deal with this is to relax some aspects of black cab regulation, not to impose more on uber. Uber (or something like it) is here to stay. To try to hold back his kind of progress is like refusing to get a mobile phone because you have a land line. Ten years from now we'll look back and laugh that there was even a controversy.
Friday 16 October 2015 10.48am
Oh well, another tradition bites the dust.

The notion, put forward by one or two posters, that TFL were on the taxi drivers side and putting barriers up against UBER might seem a tad fanciful.

I expect an appeal (if possible) Judge ruling that the fact that the app is not connected to the car, but in the drivers possession means it's NOT a meter.

Shafted.
Friday 16 October 2015 11.25am
sjac wrote:
Uber is fantastic: you can track everything online, including your car's location, the driver, the route taken, and an estimate of the fare (which is based on the distance travelled and the time taken - not sure how else you should calculate this?).

You can do this with GET Taxi - works a treat and gets a blackcab to come to you.... Personally I do not use Uber mainly because I travel a lot in the dark hours of the day and if I have to go in a car with a bloke I don't know I'd rather it be one of Tom Pepper's mates...
Saturday 17 October 2015 1.22am
Tattie wrote:
sjac wrote:
Uber is fantastic: you can track everything online, including your car's location, the driver, the route taken, and an estimate of the fare (which is based on the distance travelled and the time taken - not sure how else you should calculate this?).

You can do this with GET Taxi - works a treat and gets a blackcab to come to you.... Personally I do not use Uber mainly because I travel a lot in the dark hours of the day and if I have to go in a car with a bloke I don't know I'd rather it be one of Tom Pepper's mates...

Your vote of confidence is greatly appreciated Tattle, but when we were all a lot younger, (my taxi driver friends and I), we would regularly meet in The Red Cow, (sadly now defunct), on a Saturday night, with girls who looked as if they'd stepped off the cover of Vogue on our elbows, every one of which we had hooked with our smooth Cockney chat when they had been a paying guest in the back of our cabs.
Sadly, well actually not sadly, but luckily, I pushed my luck too far in this competition, got struck by un coup de foudre, and ended up walking down the aisle of St. Crispin's church in Southwark Park Road.
As an aside, I once picked up a thirty something woman outside John Lewis one evening, who wanted Gloucester Crescent, Camden Town.
The straight route went through Regents Park Outer Circle.
She said, "The only time I'd come through the park in the dark, in a car with a man I didn't know would be in a black cab."
I thought, "Jesus Christ, I can remember when mothers were anxious if they knew their daughter was out with me."
Saturday 17 October 2015 11.21am
Tom Pepper wrote:
when we were all a lot younger, (my taxi driver friends and I), we would regularly meet in The Red Cow, (sadly now defunct), on a Saturday night, with girls who looked as if they'd stepped off the cover of Vogue on our elbows, every one of which we had hooked with our smooth Cockney chat when they had been a paying guest in the back of our cabs.

Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions