London SE1 community website

Skipton House Redevelopment - Elephant & Castle

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6
Wednesday 20 July 2016 10.21am
The tower at London College of Communication is also coming down, to be replaced by a series of very high, very expensive towers of flats. EThe developers each release their fantasy slick drawings of their own buildings, but they don't show what the effect will be of all these huge towers so close together.
Wednesday 20 July 2016 11.08am
Indeed. And so often the impressions they do show are the perspective of a pigeon in flight rather than an unfortunate pedestrian or low level resident. It's marketing all the way, everyone's a target audience to be sold a fantasy, where the developers are saviours, scepticism and caution is banished as reactionary and change is always good. As Boris said to me about The Bend, "well we had to do something and if we got it wrong it can be fixed"... as if disruption and budget were no obstacle and our community was one great speculative landscape for trial and error. Some extreme free-marketers would welcome that (i.e. Southwark's Labour Councillors), so why do we bother with the panto of a planning committee at all?

I've just started reading a book called The Property Boom, written in 1967 by Oliver Marriot
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Property-Boom-Oliver-Marriott/dp/024191325X Some excerpts could have been written yesterday. It's worth a read. There's quite a bit about the Elephant and Castle in there too. There's much to learn from history, particularly for Labour Councillors and developers who also stand to suffer from believing their own nonsense.
Thursday 21 July 2016 8.21am
I am just hoping that one of the consequence of Brexit will be that developers put a stop to the building of all these towers at the E&C. I can see cranes all around me. I am on the first floor and 3 new buildings have already popped up in my sky this year. I am afraid of the noise bouncing off each other with all these balconies being built. Having spent the past 3 nights at a friend's in a modern building, I can tell you it is noisy. Imagine 40 floors and people having parties and chatting on their balconies well into the night....
Not even talking about the bloody pigeons heaven this will create (by the way, my partner was recently bitten all over the body by pigeon mites in his office because they kept the windows open and apparently they also feed on humans if they need to)!
Tuesday 24 July 2018 3.25pm
What's happening to the Skipton House redevelopment? It looks like the developer has withdrawn their planning application.

https://planning.southwark.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=_STHWR_DCAPR_9564104
Tuesday 24 July 2018 3.28pm
I imagine that at least in part, the Bakerloo line extension has delayed this development, as it would seem foolish to build such a scheme without factoring in the new tube station access.

Also: LSBU's board earlier this year decided not to to sell the Perry Library building which was part of this project.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 26 July 2018 9.13pm
Phew! The is great news. I get to keep my view a bit longer...
Monday 29 October 2018 12.16pm
See there is an exhibition of development proposals tonight - anyone know anything about this?
Monday 29 October 2018 12.19pm
From the flyer this seems to be a very much more modest refurb/extension scheme.

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/whatson/event/19787/skipton-house-public-exhibition-of-commercial-development-proposals

LSBU are no longer selling their library to London & Regional, so without the whole island site to play with the developer's options may be more limited.

Monday 29 October 2018 3.47pm
where did you see a flyer for this? Iíve searched for info re this public exhibition and canít find anything! Also wondering if the decision not to sell the library is public anywhere?
Monday 29 October 2018 7.39pm
Here's an update having visited the exhibition:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/9737

Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions