London SE1 community website

Sunday roast

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Wednesday 7 October 2015 11.02am
Guy's street wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
Guy's street wrote:
I like the Grange and it always seems busy for Sunday Lunch, so I'd say they've got their price-point about right.

Depends what community we're talking about here, I agree it's not outrageous. I bet that dog grooming place down the road is busy too, but that doesn't claim to be a community asset.

I'd still rather see the Grange as it is now though, rather than flats.

I think the Three Stags does something for pensioners on a Sunday, it's always full just after opening time.
Decent food in there during the week.

I don't know the detail, but presumably to be a community asset it still has to operate as a profitable business? The new management have done a great job in turning the Grange from a real eyesore (inside and out) into a very attractive building which serves a section of the community very well.

Ultimately, no pub is likely to serve all parts of the community for a variety of reasons, so the Grange shouldn't be criticised for trying to appeal to a demographic that is willing to spend money that will keep the pub afloat.

Can't argue with that to be honest. At least there are other pubs in the area that would serve the rest of the community, unlike the Borough.
Wednesday 7 October 2015 12.12pm
Jules62 wrote:
If the food is actually good, £15.00 is not an outrageous price for a Sunday Roast.

I'm not a Sunday roast person, home or away, each to their own, but I view it as an outdated concept.
I'm more likely to have bacon and poached eggs around 10.00 a.m. Sunday, then go to somewhere like Union Street Café around 19.00 for an early dinner.
However I occasionally visit my parents who live on the outskirts of Canterbury, and they are partial to a Sunday lunch, so we've been to a few places that they know of.
I'm aware that business rates, rents etc. are likely to be lower in outer Kent, but the places that they have guided me to charge a maximum of £8.45 for a well cooked lunch, and that's for a few cuts of beef, AND lamb, AND gammon, AND turkey, plus as much veg as you want, AND you can go back and get more veg if you're still hungry, but not more meat.
Maybe £15 is not outrageous, but £8.45 is a lot better.
Wednesday 7 October 2015 4.25pm
La Martinet wrote:
tom tom wrote:
yeah well don't go to The Three Stags on kennington rd. i went there last weekend they charge £16 odd quid for the roast and an extra quid for a yorkie!! the roast potato were dire and the veg consisted of three green beans!
rant over.

I see it hasn't changed much since 2012 then. In fact it seems to have been serving up the same grossly overpriced rubbish since 2008. Reviews

It must be doing something right for it still to be in business but I have no idea what!
i think rambling phil is right they focus on the tourist trade.
i love a pub roast. the best i have found in the area are.
the royal oak.
the garrison.
and the laughing gravy.
but i can't help but try and find a better one. some times with disappointing results
Thursday 8 October 2015 3.22pm
tom tom wrote:
i love a pub roast. the best i have found in the area are.
the royal oak.
the garrison.
and the laughing gravy.
but i can't help but try and find a better one. some times with disappointing results

I have friends who rate the Goldsmith on SBR for Sunday lunch although I have yet to eat there (I dunno, it seems fine, but something about the location, the way the pub is aligned, or the way ether flows through it, bad pub Feng Shui or similar... which is a shame as the staff are always lovely).
Thursday 8 October 2015 3.39pm
I rate the Goldsmith too.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 8 October 2015 4.26pm
We have eaten at the Grange for sunday lunch, and other times, often. We take visiting family there quite a bit too. After living in the area for 7 + years, I have found it to be one of the best Sunday Roasts, and pubs over all. The pizzas are great too. I think, too, what you have to bear in mind is that the roast they serve is often Venison or a Sirloin on the bone (which is amazing), so we are not talking about your basic gravy dinner.

As for serving the community, I don't think that any business has an obligation to represent everyone, or make concessions for those on a lower income. If the business is successful and locals keep going back, surely the community has spoken.
Thursday 8 October 2015 5.51pm
Barrierdickson wrote:
If the business is successful and locals keep going back, surely the community has spoken.

Agree with all you say, Barrier Dickson, and others for that matter too. Personally I think £15 is within the realms of reasonableness/what I would be prepared to pay for a decent Sunday lunch.

It is probably a point of semantics, but "the community" extends beyond those who can necessarily afford to frequent the premises and as such "the community has [not] spoken", only a section of it.
Friday 9 October 2015 2.15pm
We had a stonking good Roast beef at The Trinity last Sunday. Cannot recommend enough.

Life's too short live it!!!

D x
Friday 9 October 2015 6.30pm
Debrajoan wrote:
Jules62 wrote:
If the food is actually good, £15.00 is not an outrageous price for a Sunday Roast.

I occasionally visit my parents who live on the outskirts of Canterbury, and they are partial to a Sunday lunch, so we've been to a few places that they know of.
I'm aware that business rates, rents etc. are likely to be lower in outer Kent, but the places that they have guided me to charge a maximum of £8.45 for a well cooked lunch, and that's for a few cuts of beef, AND lamb, AND gammon, AND turkey, plus as much veg as you want, AND you can go back and get more veg if you're still hungry, but not more meat.
Maybe £15 is not outrageous, but £8.45 is a lot better.

Yes: $8.45 is a much better price for a roast dinner, but finding such good value in London isn't easy: one can spend that amount simply on a fish and chips takeaway...
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions