London SE1 community website

Zucca to close

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Friday 23 October 2015 9.44am
Really annoyed. Is Bermondsey St going to be filled with the usual chains soon?
I hope they don't go too far. Around Southwark / Borough perhaps? Or maybe be bold and open in Elephant before all the new residents move in?
Friday 23 October 2015 11.38am
This is awful news.
When are they closing?
Friday 23 October 2015 12.50pm
Website currently says 23rd December.
Saturday 24 October 2015 9.02pm
I walked down Bermondsey street today and felt upset that cave, the bermondsey sq book shop and now zucca were to close/d, then I remembered when I moved here there was nothing, nothing at all, apart from bermondsey kitchen (was that where Zucca is now? or was it at Pizarro?) the neighbourhood had some form of edge yet not the amount/volume of amazing things happening in it. i dont know what i prefer. is it going to tip into nothingness? an empty boring run through to you get to the city whilst foreign own flats are empty?

Either way I wish to have the crew behind zucca (and the cafe in the area before it) stay with us in our area. They created such an identity for Bermondsey as a great food destination and been connected to se1 for such a long time.

I lived in Angel over the course of gentrificaition when upper street was in a simliar transition I dont think anyone really cares for Upper Street now as a destination. I dont want to see my lovely Bermondsey go the same way.
Sunday 25 October 2015 9.47am
Bermondsey kitchen was where Pizarro is now, Julia, and the woman that ran it is no longer in the restaurant trade as far as I know. The spot where Zucca is now, was for years a massive hole in the ground. Bermondsey kitchen always felt like it was nearer to 'home' than it was to the city. I used to love the smell of bread from Ticino and flour on the pavement - it was a sign I was getting to the home end of the street. Am similarly worried that we are hurtling towards pret-Starbucks -blandsville.
Sunday 25 October 2015 11.28am
Julia7239 wrote:
I walked down Bermondsey street today and felt upset that cave, the bermondsey sq book shop and now zucca were to close/d, then I remembered when I moved here there was nothing, nothing at all, apart from bermondsey kitchen (was that where Zucca is now? or was it at Pizarro?) the neighbourhood had some form of edge yet not the amount/volume of amazing things happening in it. i dont know what i prefer. is it going to tip into nothingness? an empty boring run through to you get to the city whilst foreign own flats are empty?
Either way I wish to have the crew behind zucca (and the cafe in the area before it) stay with us in our area. They created such an identity for Bermondsey as a great food destination and been connected to se1 for such a long time.

I lived in Angel over the course of gentrificaition when upper street was in a simliar transition I dont think anyone really cares for Upper Street now as a destination. I dont want to see my lovely Bermondsey go the same way.

I never knew the pre gentrification Upper St, I love it though. I think we can only dream of such a street in SE1.
Sunday 25 October 2015 2.11pm
Really? I guess it would be a dull world if we all had the same dreams. We left Upper St environs in 1999 for Bermondsey St and have never looked back - having said which although Upper St took a big dive, it is currently recovering with some great new places too and its always had some good ones even amidst the dire. After longstanding Delfina (former Tanner & Co) the first big change in Bermondsey St was probably the Honest Cabbage - good independent restaurant on the site of what is the Garrison today. The Cabbage closed just as the Bermondsey Kitchen was starting - then everything sort of erupted in a good way. Really hope we don't have to go through the Upper St downcycle - chains, nightclubs etc would be a grim prospect and should be firmly resisted.
Sunday 25 October 2015 4.46pm
Hmmm quite a long street I suppose, didn't see any clubs, I meant the area around the angel station, it has everything, that was what I meant about dreaming, in SE1 we seem to be catering for one type (class?) of patron only.
Sunday 25 October 2015 5.04pm
Boroughonian wrote:
in SE1 we seem to be catering for one type (class?) of patron only.

True.
Tuesday 27 October 2015 11.26am
How is that even possible?! Can't they re-open somewhere else on the street? It is the BEST restaurant in the area by far. This is going to destroy Bermondsey Street! First the Cave and now Zucca... :(
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions