London SE1 community website

Good family walk?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Tuesday 3 November 2015 10.13pm
Not SE1 But go to Sth Kensington and walk up to Hyde park, or all the way the Ken High Street and into the gardens, and you will see the Eye in the distance.

So Hyde Park, green park, St James's park , horse Guards, over the Millenium/ Charing cross bridge and you are back in SE1

Did it at the weekend, Mall closed. brilliant
Tuesday 3 November 2015 10.19pm
RooRee wrote:
Lots of great suggestions, many of which we are already familiar with.
I guess what we're looking for is something within easy reach of se1 but not necessarily in se1

We used to live next to southwark park, so know that area and surrey quays / Greenland dock well. Now over in Borough and are familiar with bankside , more london river walks etc.

Husband is keen for more 'woods ' walks. Or those that feel like you're in the woods, haha!

In that case, I would suggest a visit to Mudchute Park on the Isle of Dogs: a great place to ramble, and it also has a very nice child friendly animal farm with a catering area.

I've been there with children, and they loved it (as did I!).

http://www.mudchute.org/
Wednesday 4 November 2015 10.41am
My two penn'orth: invest in this fantastic book, The Green London Way by Bob Gilbert http://www.greenlondonway.com/ An absolutely fantastic guide book that's loosely based on the London Green Chain walk, but the author has added extra detours, flourishes, points of interest wherever history, flora or fauna demand. It's a brilliant book, lovely walks, lots of information about the natural world to be found within the city, and it's even a great armchair read since he's done a great deal of work in terms of local history.

I know I sound a tad evangelical, but I honestly don't understand why this book isn't more widely available in the guidebook section of bookshops in the capital. We've had stacks of great, fascinating walks from it all over the city. No connection to the author, I hasten to add, but it was recommended by a friend and I've loved it so much I've bought several copies for others who like walking the hidden corners of London. Not much, if anything, in SE1 itself, but so much inspiration for places to go within a tube or train ride. Can't recommend highly enough and would be so glad if this very well-researched and genuinely interesting guide reached a wider audience.
Wednesday 4 November 2015 6.53pm
Some great recommendations here! I know it's not my question, but I just had to say "thanks".
(Would Wimbledon Common be too far? Hampstead certainly isn't far at all. Had a great day there last week visiting Fenton House and Willow Walk (Erno Goldfinger's house - so there's an Elephant connection), and stopping for very good beer and food at the Camden Brewery pub near the tube station.)

...if you press it, they will come.
Zoe
Wednesday 4 November 2015 8.21pm
Highgate Woods is quite nice, despite having a ball park in the middle it still feels like a wood (but isn't too big to tire you out). It's also got a nice cafe.

Thanks for the recommendation for the London walks book, I shall try that one.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions