London SE1 community website

Is anybody using the new Bike Super Highway?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 10 of 24
Thursday 18 February 2016 1.11pm
Sorry James, I did intend to post in the "New Road Layout" discussion but couldn't find it and thought maybe you'd merged the two threads, given the overlap. I see it's languishing on Page 5 - will remedy!
Thursday 18 February 2016 5.28pm
The Cut seems so much more congested during the working week these days, but was that any excuse (apart from being one day after St.Valentine's Day) for a couple on 'Boris bikes ' to be cycling along the centre of the pavement by the Young Vic , holding hands and completely oblivious to pedestrians who had to scatter from their path ? I shouted at them but I was alone in my fury & they ignored me.A couple of police officers on bikes were a few metres back but didn't notice at all. Is stupidity along the Super Highway contagious ?
Zoe
Saturday 20 February 2016 2.42pm
The congestion on The Cut is related to the works at E&C not the cycle superhighway. As soon as works stared on E&C we found the trarfic increased and it has just never gone back to how it was.

Do we really have to have tales of a cyclist who did something wrong on every page when we talk about cycling. Yesterday a pedestrian walked out in front of me when we was looking at his phone and swore at me as I was going by. A car came so close I thought I was going to be knocked off. I sat at a red light and two cars went through, the one behind then parked in the bike box. A car in front of me went up Union Street much faster than 20 and the car behind me beeped as I was driving at 20 and then drove really close to my car as they felt this would make me go faster. I could continue all day about what other people do wrong, but it would get very boring.

People have to accept the cycle super highway. It's there and it's not going away.
Saturday 20 February 2016 2.55pm
my job and commute are changing in March, , looking forward to using the highway. Better than the tube, driving, or bus, all bad for the soul. Cycling makes you smarter, as evidenced in this thread.
Saturday 20 February 2016 5.45pm
SandyPandy wrote:
The Cut seems so much more congested during the working week these days, but was that any excuse (apart from being one day after St.Valentine's Day) for a couple on 'Boris bikes ' to be cycling along the centre of the pavement by the Young Vic , holding hands and completely oblivious to pedestrians who had to scatter from their path ? I shouted at them but I was alone in my fury & they ignored me.A couple of police officers on bikes were a few metres back but didn't notice at all. Is stupidity along the Super Highway contagious ?
l quite agree with you Sandy Pandy. I note the fervent cyclists here. I fell off a bikeep as a child. How the heck does anyone Balance on these contraptions? London is like a circus at times what with skateboards also etc. So yes bikes should be banned from pavements and Boris bikes especially should be registered as these riders look as if they are under the influence and should not be allowed out let alone riding bikes
Cotswolds 12
Saturday 20 February 2016 6.01pm
Zoe wrote:
The congestion on The Cut is related to the works at E&C not the cycle superhighway. As soon as works stared on E&C we found the trarfic increased and it has just never gone back to how it was.
Do we really have to have tales of a cyclist who did something wrong on every page when we talk about cycling. Yesterday a pedestrian walked out in front of me when we was looking at his phone and swore at me as I was going by. A car came so close I thought I was going to be knocked off. I sat at a red light and two cars went through, the one behind then parked in the bike box. A car in front of me went up Union Street much faster than 20 and the car behind me beeped as I was driving at 20 and then drove really close to my car as they felt this would make me go faster. I could continue all day about what other people do wrong, but it would get very boring.

People have to accept the cycle super highway. It's there and it's not going away.
change and decay all around I suppose. Well my understanding. Is that the scheme is on trial and may revert or yet another wonderful idea may emerge from the political masters. All depends who is mayor also perhaps
Saturday 20 February 2016 8.42pm
Paramount, bikes are banned from pavements already.
Saturday 20 February 2016 10.02pm
kevinruairi wrote:
I think paramount is trying to wind people up a bit.
Sunday 21 February 2016 10.09am
kevinruairi wrote:
ha ha? obviously don't apply in southbank area
Sunday 21 February 2016 10.16am
kevinruairi wrote:
kevin. bikes police didn't appear to come to sandy pandy pedestrian predicament by the Young Vic? Police seem to have selective vision n hearing etc...none so blind as those who won't see
Current: 10 of 24

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions