London SE1 community website

Is anybody using the new Bike Super Highway?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 13 of 24
Tuesday 15 March 2016 11.16pm
Plenty of people use the lane to go north up Blackfriars Road in the mornings - I see about a hundred or so using the lane while I have my breakfast, with only a couple using the road to go north.

In the evenings though, not as many people use the lane to go south but it's easy to imagine why. All of the cyclists coming south over Blackfriars Bridge will be on the main road as they approach the intersection with the Cut - as they approach the Cut, they can either cut across oncoming traffic to try and get on the cycle lane or they can stay on the road. When they reach the Cut they can either continue on the road or again try to cut across oncoming traffic - or not stop at the red traffic lights and instead try to weave through all of the poeple crossing the road to try and get across to the cycle lane.

Is anybody seriously suggesting that instead of simply continuing on the road that they want to go down, cyclists going south should stop in the middle of the busy junction and try to turn right (blocking traffic behind them), wait for the oncoming traffic to stop and then complete the turn right before then immediately trying to turn left on to the cycle lane and having to stop again due to the volume of people now crossing the road (as the traffic going north/south has stopped) therefore also blocking traffic going east onto Union Street until the backlog of cyclists can proceed onto the cycle lane to go south? It would be absolute chaos should a couple of cyclists attempt that, let alone if they all did.
Tuesday 15 March 2016 11.44pm
The Dutch really are lightyears ahead as far as cycling is concerned. With all the money spent, why aren't concepts like this being considered/proposed here? They don't even have to spend money on research, that's already been done.
Thursday 17 March 2016 10.03am
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
The Dutch really are lightyears ahead as far as cycling is concerned. With all the money spent, why aren't concepts like this being considered/proposed here? They don't even have to spend money on research, that's already been done.

I agree with you completely. The dutch infrastructure is miles better and it was only built from the 1970s onwards so it can be done.

But that would require joined up long term thinking and a proper transport strategy, something missing in London!
Thursday 17 March 2016 10.36am
johnnytee wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:

I agree with you completely. The dutch infrastructure is miles better and it was only built from the 1970s onwards so it can be done.

But that would require joined up long term thinking and a proper transport strategy, something missing in London!

People should campaign for projects like this and submit a proposal to BoJo. . Not just cyclists, but a group consisting of different users: cyclists, pedestrians, private and professional drivers etc. I'd join in the campaign. I might even start one, if I knew where to start...
Thursday 17 March 2016 2.30pm
It would be nice. But it would be filtered through the Borough Councils (and councillors with vested interests) and Transport for London who control the money. Politicians are then involved. Designed by Committee, not engineers and planners with a clear brief. End result = satisfying no one :-(

Don't know how we sweep the system aside and look at it with fresh eyes. Maybe transport has to get so bad people demand change.
Thursday 17 March 2016 3.45pm
Resurfacing works overnight next week on Blackfriars Road and Blackfriars Bridge

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 24 March 2016 2.24pm
Another 300 metres of bike track opened today on Blackfriars Road.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 24 March 2016 4.25pm
The only thing i dont like about Amsterdam is trying to make it back to your Hotel after visiting a few bars and "coffee shops" , being a bit worse for wear and head spinning and having to dodge not only cars/lorries/buses but also trams and cyclists

Had some very close misses over the years ;)
Thursday 24 March 2016 7.39pm
ninja999 wrote:
The only thing i dont like about Amsterdam is trying to make it back to your Hotel after visiting a few bars and "coffee shops" , being a bit worse for wear and head spinning and having to dodge not only cars/lorries/buses but also trams and cyclists
Had some very close misses over the years ;)
this is the trouble with a free for all system
Wednesday 6 April 2016 11.26am
Couple of questions. The pedestrian lights at Upper Ground control the cycle lane as well as the vehicles. Why is that not done by Meymott Street where you have to dodge the cycles to the bus use the pedestrian crossing?

Second, in the evening the vast majority of cyclists are still using the road northbound. I accept they have to cross traffic to get into the cycle lane but I should have thought that once there it would be much more pleasant and safer for all.
Current: 13 of 24

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions