London SE1 community website

Is anybody using the new Bike Super Highway?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 14 of 24
Zoe
Wednesday 6 April 2016 1.31pm
Do you mean southbound on an evening? I find the general direction of most traffic is north on a morning and south on an evening.
Wednesday 6 April 2016 2.49pm
Yes, got it completely wrong, apologies.
Zoe
Thursday 7 April 2016 1.31am
I have tried to move across to the cycle lane when going south and it's actually quite hard. It could do with a special set of lights and signage somewhere around the bridge. It's ok if you come from the embankment, though it's not easy to work out where to go, but from the city I couldn't work it out without needing to wait in the middle of the road to turn right.
Thursday 7 April 2016 9.20am
There will be a crossing exactly as you describe at the northern end of Blackfriars Bridge - it is still being built.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Zoe
Thursday 7 April 2016 9.54am
Great, am very pleased (and wondering if I should get a new career as a road engineer as clearly I know roads, ha, ha).
Thursday 7 April 2016 5.34pm
It appears a new use has been found for the cycle superhighway along Embankment (if James excuses a minor detour from geography of this thread and doesn't delete my post as is his new habit).

Jogging. http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/cycle-superhighway-on-victoria-embankment-being-overrun-with-joggers-a3218831.html

The boom in cycle superhighway building is perhaps a little like the early 70s fashion for subway construction, the tale end of a good idea sensibly built for decades before that. it seemed like a good idea at the time but ends up being more popular with users other than that intended. Good new ideas developed cautiously and carefully with a strong case made to have them built which prove popular do tend to get adopted crudely by the unimaginative zealots, and go wrong. Garden Bridge (a bad misunderstanding of New York's High Line) is another example.
Thursday 7 April 2016 6.39pm
Perronetonian wrote:
It appears a new use has been found for the cycle superhighway along Embankment (if James excuses a minor detour from geography of this thread and doesn't delete my post as is his new habit).
Jogging. http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/cycle-superhighway-on-victoria-embankment-being-overrun-with-joggers-a3218831.html

The boom in cycle superhighway building is perhaps a little like the early 70s fashion for subway construction, the tale end of a good idea sensibly built for decades before that. it seemed like a good idea at the time but ends up being more popular with users other than that intended. Good new ideas developed cautiously and carefully with a strong case made to have them built which prove popular do tend to get adopted crudely by the unimaginative zealots, and go wrong. Garden Bridge (a bad misunderstanding of New York's High Line) is another example.

Would be a good idea to make the cycle lanes a shared path that joggers officially can use as well, they are a nuisance, if not a danger especially to elderly people and children.
Thursday 7 April 2016 9.21pm
Cyclists are still having to share their new shiny lane with confused car drivers. Some better signage out of the side streets wouldn't go amiss.

And I still see at least one big van rattling down Boundary Row the wrong way each day. It's only a matter of time before there's something coming the other way around the blind bend.
Friday 8 April 2016 7.23am
Saw a mobility scooter using the cycle lane the other day. It would be good to get them off the pavements. There were no cyclists in sight.
Friday 8 April 2016 8.48am
Joggers are also an issue in the cycle lane on Westminster bridge, the other day, I counted 11 of them, forcing me to go in the adjacent bus lane (I guess with the marathon looming, more people train than usual). No worries for me, I am used to it anyway with the hordes of tourists always stepping off the pavement without looking. What worries me is they are planning to build a segregated cycle lane on the bridge so, unless they put back the barriers along the pavement, it won't leave anywhere to go for cyclists who will be at risk of collision with pedestrians/joggers.
Current: 14 of 24

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions