London SE1 community website

Is anybody using the new Bike Super Highway?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 15 of 24
Thursday 28 April 2016 1.34pm
As of today, the whole of the first phase of CS6 is now open

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 28 April 2016 1.42pm
Are you sure that is CS6? I thought CS6 was the one supposed to go through Camberwell to Crystal Palace and Penge. That project was cancelled which is why Southwark came up with the Southwark Spine as an alternative.

Maybe it's CS7 which goes from Merton to the City.
Thursday 28 April 2016 2.45pm
Apologies if anybody has already made this comment, but I just wanted to add my experience of the last 3 days going through Blackfriars Rd in the past 3 days around 7pm.
The cycle lane was completely empty and all the cyclists, about 10 each day I counted, were cycling on the car lane direction south.
What a pity, such a large cycle lane that probably costed lots of money and nobody using it.
Thursday 28 April 2016 3.22pm
Marco - assuming the cyclists you saw had come from north of the river, the infrastructure to get them safely into the bike lane on the west side of the carriageway only opened this afternoon for the first time.

Until today there has been no way for southbound cyclists to easily cross over and get into the new lane.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 28 April 2016 6.40pm
It's basically north bound AM South bound PM, I can't see that changing, not enough room when the cyclists are all bunched together as they appear to be.

I have found that the traffic flow has improved though.
Thursday 28 April 2016 8.33pm
I saw this road built for cars today for a few minutes too and there weren't much cars on it. What a waste of money. Luckily though 99.99% of roads built in the city are to accommodate motor vehicles, so money well spent.
Friday 29 April 2016 10.08am
kevinruairi wrote:
I saw this road built for cars today for a few minutes too and there weren't much cars on it. What a waste of money. Luckily though 99.99% of roads built in the city are to accommodate motor vehicles, so money well spent.

haha good response!

I too often see buses with low passenger numbers, footways with no one walking on them and empty parking bays in the day. The money wasted on these is terrible, it should all be turned over to private car use.
Friday 29 April 2016 11.00am
boroughonian wrote:
It's basically north bound AM South bound PM, I can't see that changing, not enough room when the cyclists are all bunched together as they appear to be.

I cycled north about 6pm last night and there were plenty of cyclists travelling in both directions across the bridge, sharing the space quite happily.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 29 April 2016 3.52pm
James Hatts wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
It's basically north bound AM South bound PM, I can't see that changing, not enough room when the cyclists are all bunched together as they appear to be.

I cycled north about 6pm last night and there were plenty of cyclists travelling in both directions across the bridge, sharing the space quite happily.

Oh right, I must be lying then......is the cycle lane finished on the bridge?
Friday 29 April 2016 3.55pm
johnnytee wrote:
kevinruairi wrote:
I saw this road built for cars today for a few minutes too and there weren't much cars on it. What a waste of money. Luckily though 99.99% of roads built in the city are to accommodate motor vehicles, so money well spent.

[b]haha good response![/b]

I too often see buses with low passenger numbers, footways with no one walking on them and empty parking bays in the day. The money wasted on these is terrible, it should all be turned over to private car use.

To whom or what?
Current: 15 of 24

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions