London SE1 community website

Is anybody using the new Bike Super Highway?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 19 of 24
Monday 9 May 2016 7.19pm
But its not Newington Causeway
Monday 9 May 2016 7.25pm
The road from Elephant to the City is Newington Causeway, which becomes Borough High Street, then London Bridge. Which route are you talking about?
Monday 9 May 2016 8.58pm
drog mentioned Southwark Bridge in his original post, so it's fairly clear he is referring to Cycle Superhighway 7 via Southwark Bridge Road.

TfL did promise to upgrade CS7 as it is rather below the standards of the more recent superhighways but there hasn't been much said about it recently.

Some of the junctions have been tweaked (eg Oval) but nothing done north of that point.

The absence of the blue paint on Southwark Bridge Road since the recent resurfacing is a mixed blessing, but the plain white-on-black cycle markings are rather low-key and given the lack of any segregation, it now barely feels like a cycle route at all, let alone something that just a few years ago was the mayor's flagship.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 11 May 2016 10.02am
A car sped down the cycle superhighway last night at 23:15 almost hitting me and the five other people crossing the road. I took a photo of it so I had its registration and have reported it to road safe london.

Any other ideas about what I should do?
Monday 16 May 2016 2.14pm
A new risk for users of the cycle superhighway - fire engines traveling on the bike lanes!

I was too surprised by what I was seeing to get my phone camera out to film what was happening, but I just saw a fire truck turn onto the cycle superhighway from Queen Victoria Street and then whip along at a high speed north on New Bridge Street up to Fleet Street.

Not to diminish the importance of emergency vehicles, but is this what the cycle lane engineers really had in mind? Seemed to create a highly dangerous situation. There's no way a cyclist would be ready for an oncoming fire engine approaching at speed, especially if he or she were just turning onto the cycle lane, and there's no easy escape off to the side given the concrete 'walls' of the pavement on one side and the barrier between the cycle lane and vehicle traffic on the other. It's hard to know for sure, but the turn into the cycle lane appeared to be intentional, as no effort was made afterwards to move back into the car lane. And if it wasn't intentional, it's another argument for my next point.

Relatedly ...
I'm fully supportive of the bike superhighway conceptually, but think it's execution has some obvious flaws. Although I've seen some comments on here expressing otherwise (including from James Hatts), in my view the bike lanes should be coloured. My wife and I have seen cars accidentally turn into the bike lane, and others here on this site have posted seeing the same. Clearly, a stronger visual cue is needed to let road users (and pedestrians) know that the bike lane is distinct from the auto lane. As it looks now, there is really no distinction. It's a potential recipe for disaster, never mind now the threat of being barreled over by a fire engine.
Monday 16 May 2016 2.29pm
RobB wrote:
A new risk for users of the cycle superhighway - fire engines traveling on the bike lanes!
Seemed to create a highly dangerous situation.

Rob, this doesn't to me seem to be any different from emergency vehicles driving through red lights, through pedestrian crossings, on the wrong side of the road and so on. They have an obligation to stay safe whilst executing all these alarming manoeuvres and in all but a very few unfortunate cases they succeed very well thanks to lots of training and experience.

The fact that emergency vehicles can use them where necessary to avoid getting stuck in traffic is actually a significant plus point of the segregated cycle lanes.
Monday 16 May 2016 3.30pm
Sandgrown Dave wrote:
RobB wrote:
Seemed to create a highly dangerous situation.

Rob, this doesn't to me seem to be any different from emergency vehicles driving through red lights, through pedestrian crossings, on the wrong side of the road and so on.

Sandgrown Dave - It's different in that all the situations you mention involve an emergency vehicle at least driving where you'd expect to see one - on the highway.

I guess the implied question is this - Is the cycle superhighway more like the pavement (where these vehicles are not permitted to drive, as far as I know) or the highway (where they are permitted)?

It seems to me that the segregated cycle lanes are unique, neither pavement nor highway. So surely there must be rules that have been set up to address these situations. What are they?

I just called the TfL and the support person that answered said that as far as she knows, emergency vehicles are not permitted to drive on the cycle lanes.
That said, she wasn't 100% sure and said someone would get back to me.
Monday 16 May 2016 4.11pm
RobB wrote:
I guess the implied question is this - Is the cycle superhighway more like the pavement (where these vehicles are not permitted to drive, as far as I know) or the highway (where they are permitted)?

It seems to me that the segregated cycle lanes are unique, neither pavement nor highway. So surely there must be rules that have been set up to address these situations. What are they?

I just called the TfL and the support person that answered said that as far as she knows, emergency vehicles are not permitted to drive on the cycle lanes.
That said, she wasn't 100% sure and said someone would get back to me.

See here:

"A Transport for London spokesman said police vehicles using blue lights were allowed to enter cycle superhighways as they were considered to be part of the road at times of emergency."
Monday 16 May 2016 4.23pm
I really think it's highly likely that people would notice it if there was an emergency services vehicle coming down the cycle lane towards them. I can't imagine a situation where you wouldn't notice it.

And, as Dave has said, emergency vehicles have to drive with care for the people on the roads that they're trying to pass through. It's not as if they're going to hoon it up the cycle lanes, skittling people left, right, and centre, is it?

Like everyone else, in the very few situations where emergency vehicles need to get somewhere in a hurry, cyclists will just have to stop, get out of the way, and let them through. I can't believe that anyone could have a problem with that, surely?

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 16 May 2016 4.38pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
Like everyone else, in the very few situations where emergency vehicles need to get somewhere in a hurry, cyclists will just have to stop, get out of the way, and let them through. I can't believe that anyone could have a problem with that, surely?
Speaking as a daily cycle commuter, no, I don't have any problem with that at all.
Current: 19 of 24

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions