London SE1 community website

Is anybody using the new Bike Super Highway?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 24
Monday 4 January 2016 9.37pm
Good grief, I don't cycle now but I used to. I would feel very exposed in that little waiting area. It does explain, however, what that little square island is for in the middle of BF Road junction with The Cut..
Monday 4 January 2016 9.37pm
Brilliant. So a number of cyclists get killed doing what they are meant to do and a number of motorists get fined because there is no mention of the rules applying only to cyclists. But Boris continues with his wet dream about improving London for cyclists, (much of which I support) but this is madness.
Monday 4 January 2016 9.45pm
And I note the video is aimed at cyclists. It should be aimed at all road users so all undertsand what is going on. thanks James for the update
Monday 4 January 2016 10.39pm
I was really confused by the signage about the two-stage turn at St George's Circus till I saw the video.

From the signage and road markings, it was not at all obvious what one was expected to do.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 5 January 2016 6.06pm
We got a leaflet in the post this morning explaining how the three stage traffic lights work for cars, bikes and the implication for pedestrians. Clear as mud.
Tuesday 5 January 2016 7.46pm
It's easy.
Basically they slow everyone down and take away any autonomy.
Just remember that and you'll be fine

...if you press it, they will come.
Zoe
Tuesday 5 January 2016 8.59pm
If they actually took away autonomy we would be fine, this leaves people as decision makers on a rather complex system. I'm sure we will get used to it, but still!
Tuesday 5 January 2016 10.33pm
Yes, but the system has been designed to be complex. Unnecessarily so.

Take the dogs breakfast that is the redesigned St George's Circus. It worked perfectly well for motorised traffic when it was a roundabout. Now it's so much slower and causes tailbacks at most times of day.

It worked well for pedestrians also - but now they've taken away the zebras it slows you down.

Protection and priority for cyclists could have been easily achieved by using the space that's now given over to unused additional pavement as a segregated cycle path, meaning that cyclists wouldn't even have had to stop for the lights.

I can't see that anyone benefits - they've designed a system that slows everyone down. So impatient motorists run through orange and red lights, impatient pedestrians cross at will, and impatient cyclists also ignore the lights. What's the benefit of that, other than to the contractors who built it?

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 6 January 2016 5.26pm
Karen I wrote:
It does explain, however, what that little square island is for in the middle of BF Road junction with The Cut..
The little square island has already been removed!

The Superhighway opens as far as Meymott Street after the morning rush hour on Thursday.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 6 January 2016 6.47pm
Yes, I saw them removing it James. There seems to be a very small space in which bikes must wait before turning either left into Union Street or right into The Cut. I'm presuming the lights will be timed such that bikes will be turning in alternate direction otherwise there will be a few clashes or tangles bikes.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 24

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions