London SE1 community website

Is anybody using the new Bike Super Highway?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 24
Thursday 7 January 2016 2.11pm

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 7 January 2016 6.26pm
My office overlooks the junction with Webber Street. When the lane opened this morning, the weather was poor - and a lorry as well as a number of vans, taxis and cars turned from Webber street into the new cycle lane.

As the weather has improved, it's been less of a problem as the visibility is so much better. A number of cars are still having to make last minute corrections. Hopefully, TfL will sort out some better signage on Webber Street as it needs to be safe - particularly in poor visibility!

All that aside, I got my bike out at lunchtime and did the ride from Southwark tube to Elephant and back and it really was fantastic! I'm looking forward to cycling a lot more.

At the end I did the "two stage" right turn from Blackfriars Road into Webber Street and it was easier than I thought and felt fairly safe. An extra green light lets you know when it's safe to go.
Thursday 7 January 2016 6.36pm
I have just had a look at the temporary bus stop outside the PO. It will be interesting to see the interaction between cyclists and pedestrians as the latter run for a bus across a cycle lane. I am sure people waiting for a bus will spill over onto the cycle track. I made this comment in the original consultation. Will there be zebra crossings or some such?
Zoe
Thursday 7 January 2016 8.24pm
Having driven north up Blackfriars road I can see why people are driving up the bike lane as it does look like a lane. Some better signage is the answer.

I am also excited about it opening. Is it going to be blue at some point?
Friday 8 January 2016 3.05pm
Zoe, I believe it is going to stay normal coloured though I can't recall where I heard this. I'm quite pleased as cycling on paint in wet weather isn't great.
Zoe
Friday 8 January 2016 6.15pm
Totally agree, I slipped in the rain on the blue paint on cable street and broke my hand!
Friday 8 January 2016 6.59pm
Wasn't the blue just because of Barclays?
If they did any painting, wouldn't it have to be red?
Until the next sponsors come along, of course...

...if you press it, they will come.
Saturday 9 January 2016 9.28am
If a bit more thought had been used in the planning stages TfL could have used the same tarmac as used on The Mall for the cycle lanes but , now, it would appear to differentiate between the cycle lanes and motor vehicle lanes paint is going to be necessary.
I would have thought paint in the rain is a dangerous surface for cyclists and worn out paint in patches even more so
Zoe
Saturday 9 January 2016 4.58pm
I used the new bit on the north along the embankment, as you go left off Blackfriars bridge. I turned right just before Waterloo bridge and there was proper crossing for bikes that made it incredibly easy. I was rather impressed.
Monday 11 January 2016 10.28am
Disappointed to see that after months of disruption along Blackfriars road to make it safer for cyclists that they continue to flout the new traffic layout and endanger pedestrians. This morning I was crossing Blackfriars road at the junction with Union St when a cyclist decided to ignore traffic signals, cut across the central reservation to the wrong side of the road to turn right into Union St, crossing over two pedestrian crossings in the process whilst people were on the road with no regards for anyone but themselves.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 24

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions