London SE1 community website

Is anybody using the new Bike Super Highway?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 24
Monday 11 January 2016 3.36pm
Eleven weeks on and I have now seen 7 cyclists using the cycle highway on St Georges Road (I live on that road so have plenty of opportunity to spot them). There are more on the main road and they continue to use the pavement to pedal south.
Monday 11 January 2016 10.04pm
I Cycle. I am not 'a cyclist'.
My mode of transport does NOT define me.
I am not responsible for people on bikes who cross red lights and cycle on the pavement.
Tuesday 12 January 2016 9.54am
If you use a bicycle you are a cyclist.

How else would you describe a person who uses a bicycle as their form of transport ?
Motorists use motor vehicles, pedestrians use their feet and the people who use any form of public transport are often referred to as the travelling public.
I am a non-cyclist and I have no joy in saying that, I wish I was young and fit and brave enough to cycle within and without London but as an old man I would be a danger to everybody but if I were able then I would expect to be called a cyclist.
Tuesday 12 January 2016 2.39pm
I think this article is spot on
Tuesday 12 January 2016 3.55pm
it will be interesting to see for me as a resident in MCH how all the rush hour morning cyclists will cram into the tiny cycle lanes they have built whilst there seems to be a mass expanse of paving area certainly around MCH.

I simply cannot imagine how all the speed jockeys, flowery pedally type girls and all the rest will compete for such a thin area of space - the battle between cyclist / car will move to cyclist vs cyclist.
Tuesday 12 January 2016 9.09pm
I agree jinkazama; the bike line along BFR seems very narrow for two way bike traffic. Also the space for bikes to wait when doing their two stage right turn looks very small to me. The wide pavements are obviously for pop-up stalls.
Wednesday 13 January 2016 9.55am
........and there was I thinking that the wide pavements are designed to narrow the roads for motor vehicles and thus cause more congestion ,as they do in The Cut, bringing traffic to a standstill whilst black cabs and white vans pump out poisonous diesel pollutants or to provide councils with more income by renting out pavement space to cafes and bars particularly aimed at smokers who must now enjoy their habit outside the business they are using. There is a positive side though, skaters whether on wheels , blades or boards will have a smoother surface on which to travel.
Wednesday 13 January 2016 11.05am
The London Cycling Campaign have just published this article:
Quietways: they arenít working
It sets out the issue which is described as lack of priority for non-motorised users at busy junctions. (Maybe it will take generations to get there)
Wednesday 13 January 2016 12.57pm
Thebunhouse wrote:
........and there was I thinking that the wide pavements are designed to narrow the roads for motor vehicles and thus cause more congestion .

Absolutely. I'm all in favour of giving safe, prioritised routes for pedestrians as an overriding priority. Also in favour of doing all we can to make cycling attractive and safe, and of setting aside spaces for cyclists wherever possible (and/or taking space from motorised traffic and giving it to cyclists).

It appears to me that *some* of the recent changes in the area have done that. I would applaud those elements of the changes.

However, there appear to be several of the other changes which just extend paved areas into the carriageway (and/or cycle paths) for no other apparent reason than to make cycling/driving more difficult.

The areas at Elephant (bottom of Newington Causeway, for example - heading both South and North) are just bonkers. No pedestrian is going to walk there. They don't provide a route from anywhere to anywhere. They just constrict traffic flow. They'd be much better if used for segregated cycling, for instance, allowing cyclists to enter and leave that busy junction more safely.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 13 January 2016 1.17pm
I agree. Another example is the constricted exit from Garden Row to St Georges Road, with accompanying extended pavement. There is no space for bicycles and they pretty much have to go over the pavement to reach the cycle highway. It all looks attractive but doesn't work for every route.
Also, the number of pedestrian lights seems to have multiplied for the same route so it now takes longer to walk anywhere.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 24

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions