London SE1 community website

Is anybody using the new Bike Super Highway?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 24
Wednesday 13 January 2016 1.22pm
I would have like to have seen some of these wider pavements contain raised planters but I'm pretty sure the pavements will eventually have pop-up stalls.
Wednesday 13 January 2016 1.52pm
Vicky wrote:
I agree. Another example is the constricted exit from Garden Row to St Georges Road, with accompanying extended pavement. There is no space for bicycles and they pretty much have to go over the pavement to reach the cycle highway. It all looks attractive but doesn't work for every route.
Also, the number of pedestrian lights seems to have multiplied for the same route so it now takes longer to walk anywhere.

Yes, the Garden Row exit is crazy. It reduces motorised traffic flow by half, makes it really difficult for cyclists - unless they squeeeeeeeeeeeeze through by the narrow bottleneck - and as you say it's not any good for pedestrians either.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 2 February 2016 3.20pm
By chance I spotted three motorists using the Blackfriars Cycle Superhighway this morning, when the road itself was virtually empty. One seemed to think it was quite funny. A few snaps of the incident are online here:

https://www.facebook.com/elephantandcastleroundabout/photos/pcb.734330730036361/734330480036386/?type=3&theater

Of the various chit chat it provoked on Twitter one person has suggested a simple central bollard at the entrance to the cycle lanes. Makes sense to me. It works well on CS7 where the cul de sac of Princess St ends and cyclists cross London Road. Also some sort of blue paint - given it's been launched as the marker of a cycle superhighway - would make sense. It's amazing how the beautification-brigade have succeeding in dismissing blue paint as an ugly (I've heard many influential types around here saying this), and have succeeded in getting it replaced by nothing but black tarmac and an occasional cycle logo. Both on the new cycle superhighway and portions of the now far less clear CS7 in Southwark Bridge Road lack clearer demarcation.
Zoe
Tuesday 2 February 2016 9.07pm
I feel a bollard is the answer on all of the cycle lanes. I'm less bothered about the blue paint.
Wednesday 3 February 2016 9.01am
The only times I've cycled on 'blue paint' I've felt distinctly unsafe. Was it just my impression or is it more slippery than ordinary tarmac?
Friday 12 February 2016 10.27am
While waiting for a tardy friend for about 15 minutes at the Blackfriars Rd/Webber St junction the other evening at about 6pm I found myself observing cyclists and their use (or more commonly, not) of the new cycle lane. For every one bike that was using the lane southbound, there were, on average, about three on the main road. This slowed all the motor traffic down as at the lights there is barely room for one bus to squeeze through the one lane left for them so when cyclists are there waiting at the lights, everything else has to queue behind them. Is this because the whole blasted thing is not yet finished? I would love to think that when it is, it will be obligatory for cyclists to use it but I very much doubt this will be so.

Several other observations on this, what is gradually appearing to be, vainglorious project:
The few that do use it seem to find it works better for them if they ride with no hands.
Almost as many skateboarders, hoverboarders and adults on children's scooters (ridiculous people) as cyclists are using it.
Crossing Blackfriars Rd is now a very dangerous and confusing thing to do. You have no idea where to be looking out for moving things; they seem to come at you from all directions.
What seem like many more cyclists are riding on the pavement - why? Maybe they are as confused as the pedestrians.
Cars, lorries and vans still happily driving up and down the cycle lane, in the main seemingly blissfully unaware.
Cars using it as a car park at night.
I could go on but you get the idea...
Friday 12 February 2016 11.03am
Seen all of that and more....I suspect the cyclists who are using the main road are the dangerous ones who think the cyclists in the bike lane are too slow and that dodging cars, going through red lights and mounting the pavement (when things are inconvenient for them) is their right. It should be made illegal for cyclists to use the road when the bike lane is available.

I also think that bikes should be registered and tagged so that dangerous riders can be identified sanctioned. Why shouldn't they be treated like cars and motorbikes?

But cyclists aren't on their own.....a saw a car drive up the bike lane on Blackfriars Road and after realizing his mistake thought it would be a good idea to get back on the main road by driving over the pavement right next to a bus stop.

Why can't everybody be as considerate as us pedestrians?!?! (Okay, I admit that was sarcasm...I'm not sure how some pedestrians survive the week).
Friday 12 February 2016 11.21am
We had a contractor Public Liaison Officer at our Perronet House TRA meeting last night. Although he was from Ringway Jacobs working on the Elephant and Castle Bend he works with his fellow PLO Nula Tobin who works for the different contractor CVU who are building the lanes being questioned on this thread. I wrote to her yesterday and she said we must contact [email protected] for feedback on design and behaviour issues (I fear it's a black hole, but save your correspondence as it might be useful as evidence for the police when their design is suspected as contributing to a death, as at Elephant & Castle, where I've a trail of guilt for negligent local politicians and a manipulative campaigner called Jeremy Leach). Nula can be contacted on [email protected] about issues related to workmanship and the construction/disruption process.
Friday 12 February 2016 11.29am
It would be interesting to debate whether these sort of cycle lanes (completely segregated from the traffic) should be compulsory for cyclists to use.

I know that cyclists have an understandable objection to using some of the unsegregated cycle lanes as they feel them to be less safe than cycling in the middle of the carriageway. I understand that.

However, does the fact that they now have safe and segregated lanes (and, as a consequence, other traffic now has less space on the road), mean that cyclists should be required to only use these cycle lanes (in the same way that motorists are required to only use the remaining carriageway)?

I don't know the answer, and I don't have an agenda to promote. I think it's an interesting issue to discuss, though....

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 12 February 2016 11.48am
Ivanhoe wrote:
It would be interesting to debate whether these sort of cycle lanes (completely segregated from the traffic) should be compulsory for cyclists to use.

Agreed. And, for what it's worth, my opinion is that is definitely should be obligatory otherwise what is the point of it?

As you say, motorists can only use the main road (unless they happen to have ended up in the cycle lane in error), pedestrians can only use the pavements (unless they are taking their lives in their hands and trying to cross, of course) but at the moment, cyclists seem to use all three parts of the highway as they please.

The inmates are running the asylum.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 24

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions