London SE1 community website

Leake Street Disaster

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Wednesday 25 November 2015 5.51pm
No tales to tell. Very ignorant commentary. I'll forward a CV should you wish..
Wednesday 25 November 2015 6.13pm
As far as I can tell the proposed new units will take up less than half the frontage of the tunnel and will not interfere with those units that currently have a cultural use.

It is proposed that the street / tunnel be somewhat tarted up though and I suppose the increased use may not be completely compatible with the fumes of paint cans and the aroma of powerful-smelling cannabis.

If the street / tunnel is no longer considered a conducive location for street artists to express themselves they will surely just find more appropriate places instead? I imagine some of the best will be incentivised to continue to produce work there though.

Personally I thought it would have made an excellent mini-red-light district for London with alternative shops, clubs and bars and whatnot but I never got around to putting that idea to the consultation.
Wednesday 25 November 2015 6.45pm
A mini red light district would have been great. I've decided when I'm 67 and retired it's cocaine addiction for me, a flaming red Ferrari and sleep with anything or anyone out there who will have me..
Wednesday 25 November 2015 7.27pm
With your cv, who could resist?

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 25 November 2015 7.54pm
Can we keep to the topic rather than having swipes at each other please?

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 25 November 2015 11.05pm
I'm struggling to see the argument here. Should property owners be prevented from developing viable sites so that it retains a sufficiently derelict feel to make street artists comfortable working there?

The consultation made noises about retaining street art in the street and much of the tunnel is untouched by the development. I accept that the development may change the atmosphere of the street / tunnel as it is but surely one of the points of street art is that there are many other places it can move to?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions