London SE1 community website

Leake Street Disaster

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Wednesday 9 December 2015 6.49pm
Being underground is a part of what it's about. Things in the world start from the bottom up not top down..
Wednesday 9 December 2015 6.52pm
These guys and girls are disruptive (the buzz word in the City), take risks, challenge and move forward. Like the skate park under RFH it should be saved..
Wednesday 9 December 2015 8.14pm
So they're underground, but also fit the latest city buzzword.
Hmmm

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 9 December 2015 10.44pm
A disruptive innovation is an innovation that creates a new market and value network and eventually disrupts an existing market and value network, displacing established market leaders and alliances. The term was defined and phenomenon analyzed by Clayton M. Christensen beginning in 1995.
Thursday 10 December 2015 12.56am
You're selling something that used to be disruptive/underground etc but is now mainstream. Like that stupid Green Day musical, which is a p*sstake. Tourist traps. About as disruptive or innovative as a pink flag on a sludge vessel.
Thursday 10 December 2015 11.45am
ljgiles wrote:
A disruptive innovation is an innovation that creates a new market and value network and eventually disrupts an existing market and value network, displacing established market leaders and alliances.

Working my way through the estate-agent speak, isn't this definition:

a) saying that "disruptive" things will, by definition, become (the very thing you appear to dread) mainstream, and;

b) a load of cobblers. Yes, street art has found a place in the mainstream to a certain extent (but I would argue that the time when it did that was at least a couple of decades ago - I'd look to Keith Haring as a trailblazer for taking street styles into recognised mainstream galleries, and based on that I'd say that today's "graffa" (sic) is anything but groundbreaking). However, street art doesn't displace anything.

One additional street artist doesn't mean one fewer conventional artist, or gallery, or art buyer.

I can't bear this: "Oh, it's only of any worth if it's "underground"" approach. I understand the psychology of it, but it's all school-playground-trendy-kid stuff, and I outgrew that a long time ago.

If something has merit, it has that merit whether or not it's popular. Its merit doesn't increase just because it's "underground". In fact, things that stay hidden often stay hidden because they have little merit.

Thursday 10 December 2015 2.43pm
Ivanoe aka ? I'm not an estate agent. My division is fund management. Significant difference...
Thursday 10 December 2015 2.51pm
You misread me. The language I was referring to as agent-speak was Mr Christensen's definition of "disruptive".

Thursday 10 December 2015 6.37pm
Apologies
Thursday 10 December 2015 9.53pm
No worries, but thanks.

Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions