London SE1 community website

Tower Bridge Piazza / Courage Yard

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Tuesday 25 October 2016 11.29am
To be honest the square has never been much of a draw, being occupied by a combination of cafes and estate agents (plus the useful dentists and barbers and one shop, Hide All). Given that it's within a few metres of one of the world's top tourist sites that's always been slightly surprising. It would be good to see a greater breadth of choice- let's hope that doesn't mean lots of shops selling tourist tat.
Tuesday 25 October 2016 12.23pm
It has never reached anywhere near its potential, probably due to the fact that despite nearing very close to some of the top attractions it falls just outside the tourist routes.

Initially I was pleased that some effort was to be directed at improving the facilities in the yard but not at the expence of loosing 3 of the useful shops in the area ie the dentist, the barbers and hide all. The units are to be knocked into 3 large units to provide more restaurant / cafe space!
Tuesday 25 October 2016 1.17pm
"old Bengal Clipper" - I read that they went into receivership, have they closed now?

I like that dentist in the Piazza, he's a good guy- hope he doesn't move!!
Tuesday 25 October 2016 1.26pm
When did you here about Thr bengal clipper ? It's always very quiet so I'm not surprised
Tuesday 25 October 2016 2.21pm
Unless it's closed within the last few days it's still trading.
Tuesday 25 October 2016 2.42pm
NickTheGreek wrote:
"old Bengal Clipper" - I read that they went into receivership, have they closed now?
I like that dentist in the Piazza, he's a good guy- hope he doesn't move!!

Don't worry the developers had a report undertaken that shows there are plenty of dentists in the area to take up the slack!

We use both the dentist and the barbers - either would be sorely missed!
Wednesday 26 October 2016 9.42am
DWS72 wrote:
Its pure speculation but given that the rent being asked for units in the piazza is 70 - 100k a year they are hardly looking to attract local or independant tenants despite what was claimed to pass planning.
There was much talk by residents about not wanting chains to take over the area yet that is exactly what is happening just in a less obvious way.
There may be different signs over the doors but the fact is most of the reastaurants are owned by 1 or 2 large companies.

The way it is unfortunately and little hope of changing things.
Wednesday 26 October 2016 10.06am
. we at Copper Row barbers have worked hard to build up buisness here in shad Thames which hasn't been easy , but we now have a successful business and and have brought a a lot of coustom to the pizzia.
We feel we have been good tenents and contributed to service charges/ sinkige fund and never missed a payment.
On the 21st oct 2016 we were given an ultimatum take on a bigger unit with a 400% rent increase or leave in 3 wks (14th Nov 5pm)
We feel this is very unfair treatment as we never seemed to be in their plans and would have appreciated a longer noticed period rather than their odvious avoidment.
DWS72 wrote:
Its pure
speculation but given that the rent being asked for units in the piazza is 70 - 100k a year they are hardly looking to attract local or independant tenants despite what was claimed to pass planning.

There was much talk by residents about not wanting chains to take over the area yet that is exactly what is happening just in a less obvious way.
There may be different signs over the doors but the fact is most of the reastaurants are owned by 1 or 2 large companies.

Thursday 27 October 2016 1.26pm
Really sorry about this guys as I have used you for many years and would hate to see you leave the area ' I real loss if so.
Thursday 27 October 2016 2.14pm
That stinks, hope you find a way to survive

Dg22 wrote:
On the 21st oct 2016 we were given an ultimatum take on a bigger unit with a 400% rent increase or leave in 3 wks (14th Nov 5pm)

DWS72 wrote:
Its pure
speculation but given that the rent being asked for units in the piazza is 70 - 100k a year they are hardly looking to attract local or independant tenants despite what was claimed to pass planning.

Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions