London SE1 community website

Total travel chaos around Elephant

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Friday 27 November 2015 8.48am
they have now put a bus lane down St Georges Road so the main route towards Westminister is now down to 1 lane for cars-the amount of near misses at the lights this morning as cars vans etc tried to get accross to turn left into Lambeth Road was frightening

I appreciate it is not finished but if obvious is not working then now is the time to look at it whilst workmen still onsight-if only for the kids sake at the local schools on the road
Friday 27 November 2015 9.52am
I was a bit late this morning and at the junction with Garden Row, small kids and their mums were waiting for the green lights in the cycle lane as the space in the middle of the road is not large enough for a large group. Since the cycle lane is underused, people seem to think it's ok to stand there.
Friday 27 November 2015 4.04pm
Bel Ludovic wrote:
I live in Bermondsey SE1 and work in Clapton E5, with a choice of routes between the two, but all are snarled up at the moment through a combination of works at Aldgate, both Cycle Superhighways, Cycle Quietways and Crossrail. In the other direction there is E&C. Wherever I want to go, TfL's roadworks thwart my plans...
I can only assume it was a deliberate decision, either a) to discourage car use permanently and get people onto bikes or ...
Bel, I don't know your personal circumstances so forgive me if this is a silly suggestion but have you thought about commuting by bike? I'd guess you could do it in 40 minutes or less. I bit the bullet to take on a commute of very similar distance a few years ago and the benefits in terms of health/fitness and money/time saved have been huge. Plus I'm not contributing to air pollution, road congestion or public transport overload.
On your other point, I think not, that's verging on conspiracy theory - James probably has it right. If it was true though, would that be such a bad thing?
Sunday 29 November 2015 11.06pm
Has anyone tried walking across the northern gyratory this evening?

They've closed all of the pedestrian routes with signs that simply suggest that pedestrians go somewhere else. No suggested diversions, no indications of which routes are open or closed.

My observation is that nearly all routes are closed.

The contractors' employees are useless, with no suggestions for alternative, routes, merely that we are at fault for wanting to get across the junction.

Most of the motorised routes are still passable, though, I noticed.

This seems to be another clear example of how works are done at E&C without regard to local residents.
Sunday 29 November 2015 11.58pm
rambling Phil wrote:
how works are done at E&C without regard to local residents.

... not just TfL
Zoe
Thursday 3 December 2015 10.33pm
I don't understand where the elephant and castle link road is, to enable a turn into New Kent Road (in post roundabout days). I have looked at the pictures loads of times and still don't understand. Bleurggh!
Friday 4 December 2015 12.10am
The 'link road' is the section of road with the Metropolitan Tabernacle on the west side and the shopping centre on the east.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Zoe
Friday 4 December 2015 8.26am
Thanks James. So the link road takes you to the top of Walworth Road?
Friday 4 December 2015 9.59am
Yes - when there were two roundabouts at the Elephant, the link road was what connected both of them.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 4 December 2015 5.49pm
So looking forward to Monday morning & the chaos, on the 344 to Vauxhall..
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions