London SE1 community website

B and Q

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Sunday 29 November 2015 9.38am
No, I cannot accept that B&Q is in Peckham ,it's on the Old Kent Road even though the electoral map puts it in the Camberwell & Peckham constituency it is still on OKR. The map quoted also puts Rotherhithe New Road in the same constituency but nobody would suggest that RNR is anywhere but in Rotherhithe, certainly not Peckham. B&Q should reposition it as being in Southwark.
I find it enough hassle travelling to the OKR branch if I was searching for a B&Q store and it came up as Peckham I think I would give it a miss and try Robert Dyass instead.
Zoe
Sunday 29 November 2015 12.10pm
I agree, if it stays it should be called the Southwark store!

I can sort of understand why it is considered Peckham, but I have always thought of the OKR as an area in it's own right, not Bermondsey or Peckham.
Sunday 29 November 2015 2.50pm
That's right Zoe , when in the fifties and wanted to go to the 'pictures' we trundled down to the Fleapit aka know as Globe..or opposite to The Old Picture 'Ouse..definitely not at Peckham ...Peckham was Jones and Higgins and C and A's part of the world! Bit like THE BOROUGH ....now seems to have dropped THE!
Monday 30 November 2015 9.45am
The planning application is not proposing housing.

It's proposing to subdivide the store into four smaller shop units including food. As if the Old Kent Road hasn't enough with Asda,Tesco, Iceland, Aldi and Lidl.

I'll be objecting as it is a very useful well used store employing lots of people including part time and older people, over its long opening hours . It isn't very tidy inside probably because it is so busy..
Monday 30 November 2015 10.02am
Jan I am with you and Zoe and agree Peckham was always Jones and Higgins, C&A and, for me, a 63 bus to 'Rye Lane. The Borough will forever be The Borough and we must insist it remains so in other peoples' minds. Mind you when I went to the pictures at The Globe we referred to it as being at "The Brick" meaning Bricklayers Arms. The Trock (Trocadero) was at the Elephant and the Trocette was in Tower Bridge Road.
The Old Kent Road to my mind avoids going to Peckham and instead makes its way to New Cross and Hatcham where my grandmother was born in 1887.
Went off subject there, sorry.
B&Q must stay and be allocated the correct store location as "Southwark".
Monday 30 November 2015 10.06am
It would be pity to lose the B&Q store from this location. It's very convenient and their range more useful for domestic purposes than say Wickes which I think is the closest alternative. It's also feasible by bus,..and the OKR has lots of routes.
Monday 30 November 2015 11.30am
I must admit, until I read this news item, I'd never realised B&Q claimed to be in Peckham. To me it's always been 'B&Q in the Old Kent Road' - and The Old Kent Road isn't in Peckham (Peckham is posh!), or in Bermondsey for that matter - The Old Kent Road is a locality in its own right (note the emphatic 'The').

But wherever B&Q is, I've found it very useful over the years (though getting two large planks of wood on the number 21 bus home was not something I'd like to try again).
Monday 30 November 2015 12.25pm
Putting aside the "Peckham or not Peckham", debate, that B&Q store is the only place relatively nearby for DIY and gardening supplies. It's also pretty handy for odd things like lamps, heaters, etc.

It's also accessible by bus, which makes it really handy for a lot of people.

I've never been there when it's been anything other than full of customers, with queues at all the tills, so I think the demand is there.

However, the landlord will (I assume) get increased rental income and (possibly more importantly, depending on the landlord's primary aim in holding that site) will increase the capital value of the site (which is based on multiplying up the rental value by a factor based on average rental yields for that sort of property), so they'll go for change of use regardless.

...if you press it, they will come.
Zoe
Monday 30 November 2015 7.22pm
Probably totally true Ivanhoe, however if they want to make more profits I would prefer they built on more of the site, for example making the B&Q higher to get a second floor, or build on the car park with parking underneath and shops on top.
Monday 30 November 2015 10.16pm
That's not the game, Zoe.
Changing the planning classification makes the site more valuable than increased rent from any modification of current use.
It's business. Best return on the asset.

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions