London SE1 community website

B and Q

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Monday 30 November 2015 11.09pm
John C wrote:
I must admit, until I read this news item, I'd never realised B&Q claimed to be in Peckham. To me it's always been 'B&Q in the Old Kent Road' - and The Old Kent Road isn't in Peckham (Peckham is posh!), or in Bermondsey for that matter - The Old Kent Road is a locality in its own right (note the emphatic 'The').
But wherever B&Q is, I've found it very useful over the years (though getting two large planks of wood on the number 21 bus home was not something I'd like to try again).

Peckham is posh?,
My in-laws, from Asylum Road, wear their best clothes, and enunciate their vowels when they visit us in Rotherhithe, usually to kiss my hand and thank me for rescuing their only daughter from a lifetime of poverty, and possible enforced registration at a Bingo Hall, to say nothing of the mandatory tattoos that are de rigeur among Peckham womenfolk.
They will also step deferentially into the rain soaked gutter, when they encounter their betters, from Bermondsey and Rotherhithe, while gazing with ill concealed envy at the 1.5 to 2 million pounds houses that we are accustomed to in SE16.
I have no desire to start WW3, but I'm at a loss to see Old Kent Road as a separate entity, it dissects Peckham and Bermondsey for the most part.
I rarely visit B & Q, but if asked, I'd say that it's in Old Kent Road, at Peckham, naturally that also puts it in Southwark, but Southwark covers a large area.
Just out of curiosity, were the two thick planks that you had on the 21 bus Peckham residents?
Tuesday 1 December 2015 8.35am
I
Tom Pepper wrote:
John C wrote:
I must admit, until I read this news item, I'd never realised B&Q claimed to be in Peckham. To me it's always been 'B&Q in the Old Kent Road' - and The Old Kent Road isn't in Peckham (Peckham is posh!), or in Bermondsey for that matter - The Old Kent Road is a locality in its own right (note the emphatic 'The').
But wherever B&Q is, I've found it very useful over the years (though getting two large planks of wood on the number 21 bus home was not something I'd like to try again).

Peckham is posh?,
My in-laws, from Asylum Road, wear their best clothes, and enunciate their vowels when they visit us in Rotherhithe, usually to kiss my hand and thank me for rescuing their only daughter from a lifetime of poverty, and possible enforced registration at a Bingo Hall, to say nothing of the mandatory tattoos that are de rigeur among Peckham womenfolk.
They will also step deferentially into the rain soaked gutter, when they encounter their betters, from Bermondsey and Rotherhithe, while gazing with ill concealed envy at the 1.5 to 2 million pounds houses that we are accustomed to in SE16.
I have no desire to start WW3, but I'm at a loss to see Old Kent Road as a separate entity, it dissects Peckham and Bermondsey for the most part.
I rarely visit B & Q, but if asked, I'd say that it's in Old Kent Road, at Peckham, naturally that also puts it in Southwark, but Southwark covers a large area.
Just out of curiosity, were the two thick planks that you had on the 21 bus Peckham residents?

Très drôle Tom,
You are a card, and no mistake, however, while you're basking in your good fortune at living in Rotherhithe, I see that Right Move have a house for sale in Queens Road, Peckham for £1.3m.
As for B &Q, I don't see the Old Kent Road as a separate entity, like Borough, so as it's on the south side of the street, I'd say that it is in Peckham.
We're it on the other side, I'd say that it was in Bermondsey.
So that's minus half a point for bigging up Rotherhithe, and minus another half for putting down Peckham.
You're one whole point down SE16 boy.
Tuesday 1 December 2015 9.52am
Unfortunately commercial landlords don't Golf Alpha Foxtrot about what the people in the area local to their developments actually want.
Tuesday 1 December 2015 11.37am
Sniff miff. Stil not Peckham Tom!
Tuesday 19 April 2016 4.42pm
The planning application has been withdrawn.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 19 April 2016 6.41pm
Hooray!
Went to B&Q this weekend and said how sad it would be if it closed.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 20 April 2016 3.00pm
Interesting. Is anyone else a bit perturbed by the crowds of men hanging, and apparently sleeping, around B&Q car park these days?

There are several very dilapidated cars and vans parked off the mini roundabout, which are clearly being slept in. A woman in halfords I asked about it said they tout for work from people leaving B&Q, and she expected they would disperse once it closed.

It seems to have been an issue for a couple of years at least.
Thursday 21 April 2016 1.46pm
I was chatting to a manager at Pets at Home last week, who said B&Q going was down to the number of migrant workers that it attracted. He said their numbers had increased so much in the last few months. A couple of of them followed me to my car making clicking noises (maybe I looked like a dog, boom boom), and he said the same was happening to their female employees. With so many looking for work there, a big proportion were failing to get any work and this was increasing the level of tension and stress. Having said all that, it would be a shame to loose B&Q; we need a store like that.
Monday 25 April 2016 9.03am
B&Q is really handy to have around but the people touting for work are a problem, I can see why people would find them intimidating.
Monday 25 April 2016 12.44pm
NickTheGreek wrote:
B&Q is really handy to have around but the people touting for work are a problem, I can see why people would find them intimidating.
They are indeed. It's the standing around, staring and sometimes the following you around bit that is not nice. I visit the shops there as speedily as I can but avoid the place most of the time. I would like to walk slowly around b and q and even halfords at times, but don't trust dodgy looking people to not break into my car. So these shops are losing business because of scruffy looking men staring at you and intimidating shoppers away. It's not just a b and q thing.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions