London SE1 community website

Vauxhall in the 1970s

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Wednesday 9 December 2015 3.13pm
Lol no probably Chelsea.....Love the blonde coming out the gents Jan.....my nan used to live at the far end of the walk where the wimpey used to be, before that she lived in the.tower blocks just behind there on fitzalan street
Thursday 10 December 2015 10.40am
OMG - i remember the whimpy and the pub in lambeth walk - cant remember the name - all teh shops on one side gone now and replaced with flats, there are still shops on the one side, with a fish and chip shop plus a burger bar etc

Have they finished the flats in Newport street as that was blocked off for ages and you had to cut thorugh the little park to get back round to pimlico plumbers - used to be a toliet in Newport st many years ago
Thursday 10 December 2015 2.25pm
Lol my mum used to take me to the.barber's that was on that side of the walk which is now all flats....I used to scream the place down lmao....due you remember the supermarket just before the wimpey....was it a co-op Chelsea ?....not sure about the flats on Newport....I guess one good way to find out would be a.look on.Google earth
Thursday 10 December 2015 9.08pm
yeah I remember the supermarket and the barbers, think the flats are built in the bed warehouse - think thats what it was. not far from where the ragged cafe is now
Friday 11 December 2015 5.31pm
I.m gonna.drive down soon and.have a look round the old place....someone put the kettle on lol
Sunday 13 December 2015 11.35pm
I'm sure that my son would put that kettle on for you,but you've not read my pm about him being a long lost old pal of yours yet,have you? There must have something about your St.Mark's schooling (Miss J.Parker!) as he's also fascinated with all local history.You'd have a lot of catching up to do.
Hope to hear from you soon...
Monday 14 December 2015 10.53am
I believe that your both talking about a different part of Vauxhall that I know so well. The area I know is near the park and south lambethe road - yet i do know black prince road and vauxhall st as i went to beaufoy schoool from 1970 to 1975
Monday 14 December 2015 6.42pm
chelsea190512 wrote:
I believe that your both talking about a different part of Vauxhall that I know so well. The area I know is near the park and south lambethe road - yet i do know black prince road and vauxhall st as i went to beaufoy schoool from 1970 to 1975
....ah Chelsea I know where you are now....was there a pub called The Wheatsheaf ? We used to walk n hind there to get to my nans in.Stockwell.....we're talking about further along down kennington lane past where the unigate factory used to be
Tuesday 15 December 2015 7.52am
Yep jason - i know the Wheatsheaf very well and the unigate factory - i actually lived near lansdowne way near Larkhall park, yet as i went to school near the park, all my friends lived there - what part of stockwell did you nan live

in the 60s and 70s it was a pretty good place top live - not so sure now as i dont live there anynore
Wednesday 16 December 2015 4.38am
My nan lived in the housing estate right behind Stockwell tube
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions