London SE1 community website

New E&C road layout appears to be working?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 11 of 22
Sunday 17 January 2016 2.26pm
Hi Jinkazama. I've posted a picture of the map to which the design is being built which you can view on Twitter here. From what I see they'll remove the old large raised island currently restricting south bound flow and so there will be two south bound lanes all the way past MCH, in which a bus stop blocks one. There will be one lane north bound. Cyclists on both sides will have a segregated cycle lane, although south bound cyclists can mount the pavement at a dropped kerb just before the pedestrian crossing and cycle across the pedestrian flow at the crossing and back into an eastbound cycle lane on The Bend - taking the banned left turn. The map also shows 17 new small trees (fruit trees from what I've heard) and 11 rectangles for market stalls.

Although two south bound lanes should improve congestion on Newington Causeway, the narrowness of those lanes (and yet the high speed with which traffic wants to approach the empty Bend when the lights go green) may mean people treat it as one and the congestion isn't as alleviated as it would be were the lanes marginally wider.

I have a meeting with Patrick next Friday so will ask him for clarification.

jinkazama wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out what is happening on NC - there is from the MCH side, a pavement, then a bike lane, then another pavement which borders a single lane road with a new bus stop on it. So the buses will be stopping in single lane traffic ? Also there is very dangerous dropped kerbs on either side of the bike lane.
The bike lane crosess the entrance to MCH, but when cars exit in and out of the building they have to approach the road in order to barge into the tailback. However they then become stationary across the bike lane. If the vehicle did not do this and waited back then no one would ever let them as they are not apparent.

Then outside weatherspoons we have a ridiculous mass of paving.

The traffic from NC approaching the northern rounadbout has a single lane, which then becomes two. However, trying to get two vehicles next to each other is not easy. Then the odd bit is as the traffic moves and come to the first mid roundabout junction only about 5m on the builders have made a mistake and narrowed the lanes, so a bus for exaple and a car cannot go through at the same time as there is not enough room.

I wrote an email to Patrick Kelly, no repsonse / acknowledgement.
Sunday 17 January 2016 3.53pm
Why it was so vital to stop us,in MCH, from turning left into the OKR I fail to understand. It means we have to forge through the traffic on NC, turn up Southwark Bridge Road, go up Borough Road to St George's Circus, and back down London Road in order to go down OKR. We can't even go down Harper Road and round the back that way...it's totally absurd. And all be cause of the ridiculous piazzafication of the area outside MCH which we don't need. The traffic on NC was always very benign and sporadic, and getting in and out of MCH was never a problem. Now it's a real hazard.
Sunday 17 January 2016 4.04pm
Carlo, the motorbiking TfL chief designer of the project, told me in answer to the question Jackie is asking, that because the new Bend was removing capacity from the junction he also had to reduce some of the traffic coming through it and this was the simplest way of doing it, given the spare capacity he'd identified within the C zone on roads like Great Dover Street to take the traffic instead. It didn't remove much, but enough to make the piazzafication acceptable to him and the Strategic Stakeholder Group.... i.e. a 17% average increase in congestion and no space for any increase in motorised road use was OK, but there was at least a limit in their minds for the tolerable level of congestion and air pollution at the junction. Shifting it elsewhere would, he seemed to convey with his project sponsor colleagues, would most probably not be picked up on as plans were marketed.

jackie rokotnitz wrote:
Why it was so vital to stop us,in MCH, from turning left into the OKR I fail to understand. It means we have to forge through the traffic on NC, turn up Southwark Bridge Road, go up Borough Road to St George's Circus, and back down London Road in order to go down OKR. We can't even go down Harper Road and round the back that way...it's totally absurd. And all be cause of the ridiculous piazzafication of the area outside MCH which we don't need. The traffic on NC was always very benign and sporadic, and getting in and out of MCH was never a problem. Now it's a real hazard.
Sunday 17 January 2016 6.04pm
You never know Jackie they may even open up Trinity street....that would filter it a bit, if you turn right into new.causeway, can you not drive down harper rd. or behind mc. The n bath terrace etc.?
Sunday 17 January 2016 6.39pm
Thanks P.

Jackie, the quickest way up NKR is to go up to the southern rounadbout and comeback on yourself, far quicker, forget London Road.

However, when you want to turn right round at the southern roundabout depending on the volume of traffic you may literally have to stop and wait therefore reducing the two lane southbound traffic to one lane.

You know with some real clever design they could have used the subways for the cyclists.
Sunday 17 January 2016 7.14pm
The piazza in front of Wetherspoons is in the perfect spot, there is a 24h Off-license right there, people can sit there clutching cans of white lightning whilst hollering at the pedestrians sprinting across the thundering traffic. It will be so Mediterranean and lovely.
Sunday 17 January 2016 7.23pm
Katia - that made me laugh! We need more laughs before we all suffer a sense of humour failure with what's going on around E&C and Blackfriars Road.
Sunday 17 January 2016 8.17pm
jinkazama wrote:
You know with some real clever design they could have used the subways for the cyclists.
Now, that would have been visionary - if only
Sunday 17 January 2016 8.34pm
No Jan you can't go down Harper Road there's no right turn off NC. And I've been going down the Walworth Road and through the Aylesbury Estate to get to OKR. But WHY was it necessary to stop us turning left into OKR from NC? What have we gained? Only, as Katia says, more room for raucous goings on of a summer evening (when it's not raining so not too often ) on the vast acres of pavement which will be soon covered in litter and chewing gum. But this is the problem with people buying into romanticized. CIGs , with their carefully positioned people and their glossy unlittered streets. What is the point of all the consultations if the ponces up in their sterile offices drawing nice pictures and imagining people gambolling gaily around sunlit piazzas can't see reality. But I repeat. What now?? Can we get our underpasses back?
Sunday 17 January 2016 8.39pm
jinkazama wrote:

A couple of years ago I suggested the same in this forum, and also at a meeting with TFL and the developers but they had already made their mind up and certainly wouldn't let something as trivial as a stakeholders' phony consultation exercise spoil their plans.

Jules62 wrote:
They should re-purpose the subways as cycle lanes with no pedestrian access.
Current: 11 of 22

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions