London SE1 community website

New E&C road layout appears to be working?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 12 of 22
Monday 18 January 2016 8.35am
What a shame, the use of underpasses for cyclists could have prevented the 'Junction Problem' cited by The London Cycling Campaign as what prevents use of the quietways
Monday 18 January 2016 10.41am
I guess the subways had too many sharp bends for cyclists to negotiate! And it would have meant collisions with pedestrians who surely would have continued to use them too!
Jackie, could not you ask your building manager to reopen the side gate in Rockingham street or even create one in New Kent Road side? Not sure how easy it is to manoeuver in the Metro Central parking lot, but it could be worth asking for access works as I am sure the residents with cars would appreciate the use of that gate instead of a dodgy exist and driving for miles to find a way to rejoin New Kent Road.
Monday 18 January 2016 2.05pm
Perronetonian wrote:
Your recollection of fences at pre-superhighway St George's Circus doesn't match my photographic record.
Given TfL's general dislike of guard rails, their come-back in the new design in places they were not needed before just shows how far their vision on paper turned out to be out of sync with the reality of human behaviour and risk taking. They must really be anxious to have put them in place.

Cheers Perronetonian - I completely agree with your conclusion.

St George's Circus was cleared of fences several years prior to the N-S cycle way works but ten years ago there were pedestrian cages all over the place. In particular, I remember them all over the Waterloo Road-Blackfriars Road corner, the traffic island at the junction of Waterloo Road and Westminster Bridge Road, and a fair way down the London Road. I think they were removed during Mayor Johnson's first term, but I've not got a photographic record and I'm happy to be corrected.
Monday 18 January 2016 3.26pm
I'm making more effort to try and record some of the crazy driving at The Bend, not to demonise the drivers (who are probably stressed and confused) but of course to show how it's designed to encourage risk taking from them as well as pedestrians.

Here's a video from this morning of a 63 driving through a green man crossing on London Road:

https://www.facebook.com/elephantandcastleroundabout/videos (titled "Bus 63 sailing through...")

Here's a cab driving down the cycle lane and across the pavement from St George's Road

https://www.facebook.com/elephantandcastleroundabout/photos_stream

And it's not as if I'm spending all my days looking out for this kind of stuff, it just seems to be going on to dip in and out of.

I'm meeting Patrick from Ringway in person on Friday afternoon to walk about pointing out my latest concerns, some of which I've picked up here from others, but if anyone wants to log specific areas of safety concerns I might have missed at The Bend, please point them out on this thread and I'll try and represent your view.
Monday 18 January 2016 4.54pm
Jan the old one wrote:
You never know Jackie they may even open up Trinity street....that would filter it a bit, if you turn right into new.causeway, can you not drive down harper rd. or behind mc. The n bath terrace etc.?

Don't be silly, that might reduce congestion. How politically incorrect would that be.
Monday 18 January 2016 8.59pm
The green phase of the pedestrian crossings is too short, I have always wondered how the elderly do it, I saw the answer today, they just have to walk and hope for the best. If one is young and fit and already at the crossing as the light changes, all is well. If one of the above is not the case, it is impossible to cross.
Monday 18 January 2016 9.03pm
Jerry I have a politically incorrect feeling coming over me! Let's dig out subways put the bloody lot back as it was. It worries me if some egomaniac wants to demolish the bricklayers flyover as well. According to various blurbs London has become a 'new vibrant city' due to major investment, with increase of population brings increase of traffic as we know. sure I read recently car ownership has gone down? If that is the case heaven help the e and c if it hadn't ..
Monday 18 January 2016 9.39pm
The biggest problem I see is stationary traffic blocking the crossings when the pedestrian phase starts.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 18 January 2016 9.51pm
Agree that the stationary traffic is a big problem, especially the buses, it just isn't possible to cross safely at all if a bus is blocking the crossing. One of those yellow criss-cross boxes on each of the crossings might help a bit.

Or maybe traffic light cameras, the council could make a mint and use the proceeds to fix the mess.
Tuesday 19 January 2016 11.33am
I can assure you James it's clear to see there are far bigger problems with this junction than stationary traffic on pedestrian crossings. That's a nuisance but hardly a danger. There is regularly moving traffic there during the pedestrian phase and more, as recorded in video at http://www.facebook.com/elephantandcastleroundabout

James Hatts wrote:
The biggest problem I see is stationary traffic blocking the crossings when the pedestrian phase starts.
Current: 12 of 22

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions