London SE1 community website

New E&C road layout appears to be working?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 15 of 22
Tuesday 15 March 2016 10.20am
It would be very nice if there was a proper pedestrian crossing to match the path you're taking Connie, following the desire line of the surface crossing that was there before the roundabout was removed. Instead there's a cycle lane that looks like a pedestrian crossing, with three different directions from which traffic could legitimately plough into you. Relying on a phase of lights to stop traffic for a different crossing isn't reliable.
Wednesday 16 March 2016 9.40pm
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/8703
More trouble today. Hope the poor chap will be ok.
Wednesday 16 March 2016 9.59pm
The Evening Standard reports the motorcyclist has died.
Thursday 17 March 2016 12.04am
Very sad news indeed. Also further ridiculous reporting from The Standard. How can they seriously claim "safer new crossings". Not even TfL I don't think claim a surface level crossing is actually safer than a pedestrian subway.

In any claim about who the changes were meant to benefit it's worth recalling the injury stats TfL cite for collisions in the 2 years to Dec 2014: 48 cyclists, 15 bus/coaches, 11 powered 2wheels, 11 cars, 4 peds, 1 goods vehicle. So in all seriousness, on what grounds was there the need for "safer crossings". The issue was for the safety of those on a bicycle or in a bus or coach, on a motorbike or in a car, far far more than pedestrians, whose injury rate was far closer to that of those in an HGV! TfL only shared this breakdown of figures in recent weeks after much cajoling.

This evening I gave an interview to Matt Watts of the Standard. I do hope his reporting is a little more detailed and doesn't exaggerate TfL's propaganda... but when TfL are one the paper's major ad space buyers, I suppose it's just too tempting for the editorial to end up patting their back.
Thursday 17 March 2016 12.05am
Very sad news indeed. Also further ridiculous reporting from The Standard. How can they seriously claim "safer new crossings". Not even TfL I don't think claim a surface level crossing is actually safer than a pedestrian subway. http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/elephant-and-castle-crash-motorcyclist-injured-in-collision-outside-station-a3205171.html

In any claim about who the changes were meant to benefit it's worth recalling the injury stats TfL cite for collisions in the 2 years to Dec 2014: 48 cyclists, 15 bus/coaches, 11 powered 2wheels, 11 cars, 4 peds, 1 goods vehicle. So in all seriousness, on what grounds was there the need for "safer crossings". The issue was for the safety of those on a bicycle or in a bus or coach, on a motorbike or in a car, far far more than pedestrians, whose injury rate was far closer to that of those in an HGV! TfL only shared this breakdown of figures in recent weeks after much cajoling.

This evening I gave an interview to Matt Watts of the Standard. I do hope his reporting is a little more detailed and doesn't exaggerate TfL's propaganda... but when TfL are one the paper's major ad space buyers, I suppose it's just too tempting for the editorial to end up patting their back.
Thursday 17 March 2016 9.27am
Exactly. I was down on the roundabout which was taped off and blocked for hours, till at least nine oclock. THis is the second death in as many weeks...and the ridiculous thing is WE ALL KNEW IT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN. I wrote a long email to TfL with copies to Peter John, Boris, etc., pointing out that this whole misconceived adventure was turning out to be a disaster, saying I expected a reply. That was well over a month ago. The pedestrian crossings are a total nightmare...they are placed injudiciously, particularly the one on NKR just off the roundabout. People are constantly dashing into the road, not seeing the traffic coming from the corner of Newington Causeway, one lady has died already. The wait for the traffic lights is so long, people get reckless. The traffic is backed up for miles. Oh Underpasses, how I miss you.
Thursday 17 March 2016 10.37am
I miss them too Jackie, I would be a nervous wreck if I had young children and had to cross over. I miss the chap underneath who would just sit and wait for someone to drop a few coppers in his bag....why can't they dig the bloody out and reinstate what was a very safe way to cross for decades.
Thursday 17 March 2016 10.58am
Surprise surprise, this very minute I finally received a reply to my email of 1st February....someone reads this site it seems. However, the reply is totally unsatisfactory more or less saying how wonderful the whole new scheme is/will be/should be and disputing the viability of underpasses...in all a conversation of deaf people. I have sent a copy of the correspondence to James.

I also have pointed out that I, who look from my terrace every day, am also looking on a collection of road markings which look like an equation from Einstein...no wonder everyone's confused. And those wretched crossings as Jan says...BRING BACK OUR UNDERPASSES!!!
Thursday 17 March 2016 12.14pm
The workmen have been fantastic in all the accidents, especially the two fatal tragedies. They help immediately, support emergency services, block the roads and clear the roundabout. Wonder about the chaos after each crash once they are gone.
Thursday 17 March 2016 5.41pm
Katia wrote:
The workmen have been fantastic in all the accidents, especially the two fatal tragedies. They help immediately, support emergency services, block the roads and clear the roundabout. Wonder about the chaos after each crash once they are gone.

How sad is it that the nicest thing we can say about this situation is that the clean-up team is fantastic.

Southwark Council, Transport for London:
hang your heads in shame
Current: 15 of 22

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions