London SE1 community website

New E&C road layout appears to be working?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 16 of 22
Thursday 17 March 2016 6.51pm
True, Graham, but I didn't mean clean-up. They actually made the site safe in the immediate aftermath by getting non-involved vehicles off the roundabout and blocking the roads themselves, and assist victims until emergency services arrived. I bet they prevented a few pile-ups with their quick reactions.
Thursday 17 March 2016 8.57pm
Some comfort that is. The whole thing is one big f*ck up. An expensive, disruptive, unnecessary, balls up of the first degree. We did our best, and we got shafted. And I really wonder who made a packet out of this. Mr Paving Stones for one.
Thursday 17 March 2016 11.43pm
Jackie you have just passed the exam for the most succinct conclusion on the E&C road layout with marks of 100%
Friday 18 March 2016 7.53am
Sadly it's taken 2 deaths for the London-wide media to finally really engage in the story of what's wrong and why it ended up like this. Page 5 in last night's Standard, BBC London drive time and just off air with Nick Ferrari on LBC, naming, shaming and correcting a few misunderstandings (e.g. cyclists are not winners in this). I very much doubt TfL or Labour Southwark will do anything except ask for our patience and expect familiarisation to lead to safety, not risk taking born out of frustration and misguided confidence as I forecast. Temporary barriers currently prevent some of the dangerous desire lines for pedestrians that are the consequence of poorly placed, poorly timed crossings. MP Neil Coyle hasn't even bothered to tweet about Death 2, where as for Death 1 he clumsily attempted to portray himself on the side of the long term concerned about the junction, until I undermined every single claim he had of evidence to support this. TfL's consultation doc even names him as supportive. The minutes for the Community Council meeting we were both at that he claimed he spoke out against the junction turned out to include no record of this, but did so of others (not his ruling party). We can hope for little from our MP to lead a redesign, he's keeping his head down / seeking to rise about such pedestrian matters. The council turned down an invite from BBC London to reply to my criticism.
Friday 18 March 2016 9.08am
Wow, Thebunhouse, 100%! Last time I got that mark was for a philosophy exam at university. Sadly, excelling at this particular subject was never my aim, but I am quite distraught that this whole sorry project has turned out to be even worse than we imagined...and that's saying a lot! Nothing about it is positive. The famous "piazzas" are already a sea of cigarette butts and chewing gum. We now have to get on the case of:

BRING BACK OUR SUBWAYS!!!!! (or at least some of them).
Friday 18 March 2016 9.47am
Jackie agree whole heartedly with Thebunhouse!
Friday 18 March 2016 4.38pm
Jackie agree whole heartedly with Thebunhouse!
Saturday 19 March 2016 8.22am
Looks like the thread Jackie started about Bringing Back The Subways has been deleted. That's the kind of conversation-killing opposition we're up against within local influential networks! Do register at www.saveoursubways.org and Facebook.com/elephantandcastleroundabout and continue the conversation elsewhere.
Saturday 19 March 2016 9.09am
The thread hasn't been deleted and will (mostly) reappear shortly.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 19 March 2016 9.26am
Another biker death doesn't necessary relate to an altered road layout. There has been a big increase in reckless motorbikes racing towards the E & C. There have been ome deaths of bikers along straight stretches of road through Kennington. These deaths are as much to do with high and unsafe use of bikes originating from the large motor cycle shops in Vauxhall using Kennington lane/ Road/ Park road as race tracks at speeds at least double the speed limit.
Current: 16 of 22

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions