London SE1 community website

New E&C road layout appears to be working?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 17 of 22
Saturday 19 March 2016 9.51pm
boris wrote:
Another biker death doesn't necessary relate to an altered road layout. There has been a big increase in reckless motorbikes racing towards the E & C. There have been ome deaths of bikers along straight stretches of road through Kennington. These deaths are as much to do with high and unsafe use of bikes originating from the large motor cycle shops in Vauxhall using Kennington lane/ Road/ Park road as race tracks at speeds at least double the speed limit.

I have no doubt that it will take more deaths from an assortment of road users at E&C for there to be any changes at all to the junction. Because I'm as pessimistic about the way decisions are made about Southwark's construction projects as I am about the safety of the junction. The dead don't get the chance to explain why they died, the road's designers have already demonstrated they don't like data (and nor do their supporters, they prefer perceptions), and so without data or an explanation for the specific context of a collision the optimistic will pluck at cliches and anecdotal evidence about the dead.
Saturday 19 March 2016 10.01pm
I stood at the crossing on the New Kent Road this afternoon. It took for ever for the lights to change and everyone except me dashed into the traffic...I was the only one waiting for the green man. And the traffic whizzing round the blind corner from the roundabout nearly knocked down a couple of people....SO STUPID. That particular underpass, and the one from the Tabernacle to the Tube could have been left intact....what were they thinking of?
Sunday 20 March 2016 8.38pm
The area of land taken up by the slopes was deemed to important to be left for pedestrians.
Sunday 20 March 2016 9.00pm
Even Delancey's consultant (ex Cllr) Kim Humphries said in a public meeting last autumn at Walworth Garden that the subway under the link road would have been rather handy for conveniently and safely linking Delancey's new development. This bit has thankfully not yet been pumped full of concrete because TfL are intending to use it for construction workers when they start rebuilding the Northern line. It was the second busiest subway after the New Kent Road one (by far the busiest), may be there's yet hope it might be reinstated.
Sunday 20 March 2016 9.11pm
Amen Perronetonian! That's exactly what I told TfL. The original scheme was going to use the subways as some sort of integrated power network or something...but that went the way of the wind turbines on top of Strata. So there was no valid reason for filling in the subways other than "people like to cross at street level" (says who?). While I appreciate our subways were labyrinthine, getting rid of all of them was a daft move. If there is really a chance to reinstate the NKR and the Tabernacle ones, hallelujah. We must nag and push and demand it LOUDLY. I reiterate: GIVE US BACK OUR SUBWAYS!
Monday 21 March 2016 12.32pm
Please someone correct if I'm wrong but I don't think the tunnels have been filled in at all. Yes, the entrances have been sealed but from what I can see a large part of the paths leading to the underpasses have just been back filled with rubble and the ones that are still visible looked like they are waiting to capped off rather than filled in. Maybe I've misunderstood what they've done but I think for the most part the tunnels are still there....maybe waiting for a grand reopening 1 day hopefully.
Monday 21 March 2016 2.16pm
Sorry Peter, the tunnels have been pumped full of concrete, I have photos and I have it in writing from Ringway Jacobs. It was a surprise to me to see it happening as Hugo Terry of TfL had told me as recently as December 2014 that they would only be sealed up as an imminent TfL project looking into revenue generating sites could have found them useful. Stephen Witherford of WWM (lead architect) was horrified when I shared the news with him. The justification for filling them was a fear that they might one day collapse... though this fear came rather late in the day and was perhaps motivated by the money to be made from the huge job involved in filling them in.

All that remains of the subways without concrete inside is the one under the link road and the ramp from it up to the centre.
Monday 21 March 2016 6.16pm
I despair I really do. Is anyone, anywhere going to defend the whole sorry debacle?
Friday 8 April 2016 9.12am
Twice this week I have used the new crossing at the bottom of St George's road and twice pedestrians narrowly avoided collisions with cars. The problem is that when you want to cross from the "plaza" side towards St Georges Rd, there is a blind spot caused by the Faraday sculpture/building, so you cannot see incoming traffic from London Road/Newington Causeway. So, it is really tempting to cross this section with the red man as traffic "seems" to be stopped further ahead. It is double tempting to cross because the second part of the crossing is already on the green man, so it saves people time waiting in the middle of the crossing.
It would be good and very easy if they could fix a mirror at the lights so pedestrians could see that traffic is indeed coming from that blind spot... I can see an accident coming there otherwise.
Friday 8 April 2016 12.46pm
I agree. Even if like me, I try to avoid any temptation to cross on a red man, especially when crossing with my young daughters, several of the new crossings are dangerous because traffic regularly crosses when the green man is making his fleeting appearance. This morning a motorcyclists raced through the green man as I was mid way across the road with two priests alongside me (this detail adds to the scale of the pedestrian obstacle and the gothic drama), but the motorcyclist appeared to have not noticed the lights as he came around the corner and was going too fast to brake. The frequency of traffic cruising through the green man between the Bakerloo line and central island makes a collision there seem imminently inevitable.

Yet TfL's recent reply to the Lib Dem councillors expression of concern is a bullish and complacent dismissal of serious issues, a tone that is so far from the genuine anxiety expressed by those working for TfL that I've spoken to, whether in construction, architecture or safety officers.

Three pedestrian crossing lights are broken today on The Bend adding to the dangers, see a video report at http://www.Facebook.com/elephantandcastleroundabout

Heads will roll one day, hopefully at Palestra Building and 160 Tooley St, not on The Bend again.
Current: 17 of 22

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions